• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Conservation - Green Bag Marks

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1878-S $20 in NGC holder MS 61. It is a sharply struck coin and I think it could grade higher except for the fact that its color may not be attractive to some, but I think is typical for older San Fran gold.

The gold is a very dark gold to greenish color which I believe accentuates the the bag marks and makes them look heavier than they are. Could these be improved with conservation?

The reverse is strong which I believe is rare with nice feather details and cleaner fields.

It is the obverse that is the problem. The bag marks look worse than they are as the coin has a very dark patina that I think has occured over time.

Is this type of coin a candidate for conservation? Can you request a minimum grade before conservation? Do some slabbed coins that are conserved grade lower?

Judging from your description, you have a coin with some very specific concerns. We would need to see the coin to be certain if we can address the coloring issues. It may be possible. We would only do conservation work that would enhance the coin in terms of its eye appeal, grade, and stability in long-term storage.

Coins already certified will be evaluated prior to conservation. The evaluation will look at both whether conservation will be of benefit but also with a prediction of whether the currently stated grade will at least be maintained. If there is a risk that the coin will not maintain the currently stated grade, we will not conserve the coin. Should you want the coin conserved regardless of the current grade, you would have to specify that to us with a note on your submission form.

Chris, NCS