• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BAd day for crossovers :(

21 posts in this topic

Hi all so i got word back on my submission from NGC about some old anacs coins. i sent in three to get crossovered and all but one came back not being improperly cleaned.....Man how could anacs not catch something like that even back in the day? guess they stay in there anacs holders for a while....

Not yet. i will in the next couple of days. ANybody have any advice what to do? I mean ANACS is suppose to guarentee there coins right? could i take it up with them?

BitetheBullet.jpg

Your gonna have to bite the bullet on that one....even if they were improperly cleaned by today's standards, they might very well have been acceptable to ANACS way back when.

That's just one of the quirks between grading companies...they are not all on the same playing field, they have their own standards as well you know.

Having cataloged probably 2500 coins over the past year, many of the NGC and NGC-bagged (or details graded), I can tell you for sure that they have tightened up their restrictions on "cleaned" coins. In other words, coins that were permissible a couple of years ago despite being lightly cleaned are now getting nailed.

So, your experience does not surprise me.

I absolutely prefer the tighter standards, but the caveat is inconsistency with past practices.

Russ Bega----- Very sound advice from both Woody and James on this one.

I'd like to add the following: 1---There are many nice coins holdered in the old 6 and 7 numbered ANACS holders. 2---ANACS was the service of choice when you thought that just maybe either NGC or PCGS "might not" holder the coin for one reason or another. Consequently, there are a lot of lightly cleaned and minor flawed coins in ANACS holders.3-- You can bet that, just on general principles, both PCGS and NGC will drop an ANACS graded coin by a point---if in an MS grade---unless the coin is really nice for that grade. 4---You can also bet that they will drop very many of the lower graded ANACS coins by 5 points----and that's the way of it. 5--- It is wise to give both NGC or PCGS a little "wiggle room" if you want your coins crossed to their holders. An example would be in the AU ranges---if the ANACS grade is say a 55---give an OK to NGC or to PCGS to accept a 50. You have a much better chance of success that way. 6--- From my vantage point, it is better to pay less for an ANACS graded coin---because of these facts. But, remember that there are some "perfect for the grade" coins in ANACS holders. 7---You "MUST" be a good grader yourself. Good luck in the future. Bob [supertooth]

in the ANACS holders

I wonder if this had something to do with it. ei- they assumed it was in ANACS holder for a reason. Just speculating

Grading is an opinion, not an absolute science. The opinion of ANACS at the time of grading was that the coins were acceptably within the parameters set forth and used by ANACS. This policy has nothing to do with NGC, PCGS or any other grading service and will not rely upon those services to determine any error on the part of ANACS.

Supertooth gave some fantastic advice above - spot on!

A few years ago, when ANACS was still using the small holders, you could still get some really good cherrypicks. I once snagged a CC Morgan they graded MS-60, and it went PCGS MS-64, after I sold it to a customer raw (cracked out, and I called it MS-63). I made $1000 on it, and my customer scored another $1000 extra value on it with the PCGS extra point.

But it's like the old rattler and no-line holders, so many of the cherries have been cracked out now that it's tough to find any goodies.

Think about how we can locate those PCGS coins that were earlier in ANACS or NGC holders, the ones that were crossed at five to ten points lower. Those coins could well be at the very top of their grading category.

I guess for the 1867 IHC that dooly has posted that perhaps the discolored area on the obverse within the headdress and in front of the forehead might have been considered an area of spot removal or cleaning.

myself i think ngc is the tightest and most conservative in general that i have ever seen since they started grading in the late 1980's

and in my opinion is a good thing with classic coins especially so if you are on the buying side

I mean ANACS is suppose to guarentee there coins right? could i take it up with them?

ANACS has been sold in the past so I'm not sure if the guarantee is still valid on the older slabs.