• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The mother in law addition.... posted by Kamakazy

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1917 McKinley Gold Dollar.

This actually happened a few years ago but a recent event reminded me to go get the gold dollar and schedule it for grading.

Sitting at the table in my in-laws house my girl informs her mother that I am a coin-hound, especially when it comes to gold and platinum.

Her mother promptly gets up and leaves the room. I looked at my better-half and whispered, "umm, did we just her off?"

She replied with a puzzled look and shrugged her shoulders. Very quiet sitting at the table with her dad and nothing really being said.

Her mother returns about 5 minutes later with a 1917 McKinley gold dollar (raw) and hands it to me. "I think it is rare", she says, "but you can have it."

What prompted me to remember she had given it to me is a few weeks ago we were at the house visiting and she mentioned she found a couple of her old penny banks from when she was a wee one. "Do you want to rifle through them?", she asks.

Your doggone right I WANT TO!!! WHEAT PENNIES GALORE and one small Gem produced itself in the hunt.

Imagine, my wife, her mother, and her grandmother sitting at the dining room table with me sifting through piles of pennies when a poor mans 55 double die appears and in pretty good shape.

It is still in an envelope in the glove box but I have included a picture of the McKinley.

Cheers!