• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Coin, Wake Up! French 5c

8 posts in this topic

Since we've been putting forum members to sleep due to lack of activity on this forum here's a fairly recent addition to my collection:

396696-1917.JPG

No, not Austian or German for a change, but rather from one of their traditional enemies. It's a 1917 French (3rd Republic) five centimes coin, KM842. Interestingly enough France also made copper-nickel 5 centime coins at the same time (KM865). Not sure why there are two types but pehaps due to wartime shortages.

As for the coin itself it's quite common and I'm not sure if this guy is AU or UNC. Maybe just a touch of rub on the high point of the hair towards the bottom of the obverse. But then again there's a little toning on some of the high points so maybe it's just a luster break from the toning. I plan sending it in for NGC's opinion for my own education.

Issued during one of the pivitol years of the first world war with the following tow key events key from the French point of view:

Entry of the United States to the war reduces chances of a comprimise peace and bring hopes of victory to France.

Unrelenting and futile bloodletting results in the mutiny of the French Army followed by swift punishment for deserters (yes, Greg, lots of executions).

As always, comments are welcome!

-JamminJ

I was reading last night about WWI and how the German Army had superior armament due to superior engineering of machine gunnery and cannon accuracy, while the French maintained Calvary as the main form of armed advancement, thus being slaughtered in the field. Although the French strategy proved fruitless, the French generals were unmoved, and faced relentless rebuke at home The British meanwhile, had inferior infantry, yet used tanks as a bold new form of mechanized movement and attack. Unfortunately, the British generals failed to realize that tanks were a superior form of battle armament and did not use them to the full potential. With the capitulation of the Russian Army, the Germans seemed on the brink of closing the eastern front and moving all forces toward the western front, where the allies were badly outnumbered. With the entrance of fresh US troops, the tide turned against the Germans and were forced into a harsh surrender.

BTW, lovely coin.

Quiz time: What is the earliest date that "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" appears on French coinage????????????????

TRUTH

Quiz time: What is the earliest date that "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" appears on French coinage????????????????

TRUTH

I think it was 1848.

Gorgeous design JJ acclaim.gif I've looked at those myself but never found one quite so nice.

I think was in 1848, coincident with the advent of the Second Republic.

I'm fond of the pre-euro French coinage of the various republics. Always something dramatic to look at. Sometimes it works, like the Walking Libety design (KM 925), and sometimes it doesn't, like the butt-ugly art-deco 10 franks(KM940), but at least they try. No dead presidents frozen for eternity. Lots of nice colonial stuff out there as well. Now, as for France itself...

Thanks for all the kind comments on the coin!

-JamminJ

Congratulations, you my thanks and gratitude.

I hear that and a token will get me on the subway! 893whatthe.gif

Just kidding, I enjoy your questions.

-JamminJ