• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Policy

10 posts in this topic

They have NO policy on how long they sell their stuff. In my opinion this is a dis-service to the collector. Why buy 20xx proof/mint sets if they sell them indefinitely?

i see your point and it is well taken

the mint offers a product of current modern mint coinage to everyone as a keepsake of their coinage with special packaging

mass produced and/or unlimited until there is no more demand

makes sence to me

Then don't buy them.

To me, I have made some money from the mint, but the mint's collector items should be there for the collector....if that is the case, it shouldn't matter if they were still selling proof sets from the 197x's or 198x's, right?

Now, for those that want to FLIP them for money, I can understand not wanting the mint to keep selling products too long (heck, I could make money then too).

They sell them till the supply runs out. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I agree. I wish they had more stuff from the past to choose from!

In general they sell them until the next years set goes on sale or until they run out. whichever comes first. I don't know when the last time was that they sold sets after the new ones went on sale other than that one time early this decade when they tried to sell off their backlog of reserve sets and then stopped because they had deteriorated in storage.

Oh wait I know another, when they sold the three piece proof bicentennial sets for years afterwards, and they kept adjusting the price as silver kept going up.

If you go to the Mints website, www.usmint.gov you can find everything they are currently offering, and some items that are coming but not on sale yet, and a subscriptions section where you can subscribe items you buy each years and they will automatically charge your on file credit card and send them as thy become available.