• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1839 Raw seated quarter. Grade?

16 posts in this topic

Thanks for the pic fix :)

I don't personally believe it will come back details. in hand the"hairlines" are hardly visable. But of course i could be wrong

Yep im going with cleaned. Remember in hand it may not look cleaned depending on the lighting but graders use lights in order to help them see all flaws of a coin.

Good luck, Russ. I purchased this liberty seated quarter and was so proud until it proved to have been cleaned. In hand it did not appear to be to me, but then it was mine at the time. I have since sold it at a loss.

Jim

1873SLibertySeatedQuarterInhand-1.jpg

Good luck, Russ. I purchased this liberty seated quarter and was so proud until it proved to have been cleaned. In hand it did not appear to be to me, but then it was mine at the time. I have since sold it at a loss.

Jim

1873SLibertySeatedQuarterInhand-1.jpg

IT happens to the best of us. if it is cleaned its one of 11 Quarter i picked up at CSNS that was. i bought a lof or raw ones so it won't be two bad of a loss.

I guess I'm missing something, but I don't see the cleaned part here.

I'd grade it AU-50, with a downgrade from AU-58 for the marks in the right field on the obverse and reverse. Maybe those are cleaning marks, but they don't look like that to me.

Here a quarter of the same type that NGC graded AU-58.

1839QuarterO.jpg1839QuarterR.jpg

I guess I'm missing something, but I don't see the cleaned part here.

I'd grade it AU-50, with a downgrade from AU-58 for the marks in the right field on the obverse and reverse. Maybe those are cleaning marks, but they don't look like that to me.

Here a quarter of the same type that NGC graded AU-58.

1839QuarterO.jpg1839QuarterR.jpg

Bill i agree with ya 100% i really don't think it's been cleaned at all. and that coin looks very similar to mine

I guess we were all right. it came back Obverse improp. Personally i don't see it. but i guess thats just how it goes. maybe i'll try again. as long as i like the coin who care though right?

I guess we were all right. it came back Obverse improp. Personally i don't see it. but i guess thats just how it goes. maybe i'll try again. as long as i like the coin who care though right?

agreed

and guess what?/ sometimes it takes 1-3 times to get into a regular graded holder

but i will say that ngc is currently the tightest i have ever seen them for grading coins in the last 20 or so years

5 years ago this would have holdered easily

as long as i like the coin who care though right?

Amen! (thumbs u

And I agree with Michael, NGC seems to be extra picky with this kind of stuff lately. That is why I guessed improperly cleaned. I do have to say that I find the coin very appealing though.

*edit* Here is one of my coins that NGC gave the improperly cleaned label to earlier this year. Please note that the slab is slightly scuffed up.

97858.jpg.816249ece8b2f55365b187ececc2d616.jpg

97859.jpg.64cbfe4725c15b13242b65630f779ca1.jpg