• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coulda,shoulda,woulda

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Tell me,what do you think of this auction of an 1882 Proof Indian cent and the selling price.There is a video to go with the auction.

First,the coin.Any problems? I can't see anything obvious except a streak on the obverse.Approximate grade? And finally,did someone just get a fantastic deal? I was very tempted by this auction,but I've been burned on raw Proof IHC's a couple times so I put in a low bid of $125.00. But $185 seems very low for this coin. I says to me that I'm not the only one burned on these types of coins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230467878537&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

When I see images like that, I assume there's something wrong that isn't being disclosed by the images.

What do you mean by "images like that",James? I see the video shows a much more reflective coin,but it doesn't show close-up details.The photos show great details,but they are dark and that could cover problems,I suppose. A d,he claims Proof 66?

harshly cleaned and TOTALLY FUGLYRIFFIC COLOR and i grade this coin around SUPER DUPER HIGH RETAIL AROUND $80 and personally i dont want it at $75

you got damn lucky my friend that you did'nt win this venerable bargain

sight seen could be lower

Always check the sellers feedback. Beaucoup feedback for 2010 SAE's. Seller is driving up feedback numbers.

Why? To lure newbie buyers into the rap. The "videos" are only for highly collectible coins. Where there is a rap there is a trap. No clear representation of the actual coin, just sales patter and empty words.

Be very happy that some other sucker went for the rap. This IHC has definite issues. The Obverse mark is one. No angular photos--in fact no decent photos to accurately determine coin quality. Likely hairlines everywhere.

The static photos are altered.

1882 proof 65RB 350 bid 65R 1000 bid Greysheet. And this seller is starting at $0.99.

$ilverHawk

Well,I'm glad I stopped where I did.I gotta quit even low balling on these coins.I was 99% sure I wouldn't "win" it at $125.00.And even so,the only coins I bid on anymore have a return policy.I know,everything is supposed to be returnable. My last Indian cent purchase is a 1879 Proof 65 R/B in an NGC slab.So,I'm getting the message.Just like to run these by other eyes every once in awhile.

I think I'll stick more to my Morgans.I do pretty well with those.Whether keepers or not. Probably because I've been immersed in Morgans above anything else.

When I see images like that, I assume there's something wrong that isn't being disclosed by the images.

What do you mean by "images like that",James? I see the video shows a much more reflective coin,but it doesn't show close-up details.The photos show great details,but they are dark and that could cover problems,I suppose. A d,he claims Proof 66?

Sorry - what I mean is a washed-out image that doesn't reveal surface texture. That can disguise hairlines or problems that will show up in-hand.

I live and work in the New York area and deal with "Noo Yawk" accents all the time but the sellers voice on that video was downright grating.

Be happy you didn't win it. Details grade at best I fear.

Wow.Really,really happy I didn't win that one. I gotta get better at interpreting pictures. I mean there are some sellers that obviously doctor photos but I haven't run in to this guy before. The video made the coin look brighter,more mirrored,but it sure didn't show detail.My new mantra: "Slabbed Proofs only".More money but less trouble. Thanks guys.