• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

78CC Mystery M

15 posts in this topic

Found this on one of my CC's and thought some might enjoy. I call it my Mystery M. For those who might remember, this is the 78CC GSA with the holder which had all the laquer on it and really could not see inside! This M is located just to the left of the left olive branch. Maybe ole George added an extra mark. Well, it sounds good anyway!!

Chet

97600.jpg.69660f886da19ebb3d7556eff8a61a2d.jpg

97601.jpg.baf0af43697e040b558c6eb0d710bd9e.jpg

97602.jpg.7cec72bc73a512566277a2b0872d1e50.jpg

I don't think it's anything more than simple scratches on the die face.

Neat find on a closer inspection of a historical coin.

As previously, they are die scratches. Scratches are incused into the die, and will create raised lines on the struck planchet. Such phenomenon are absolutely classic for Carson City Morgans!

Hi Chris,& James, Russ & W. Jefferson

Thanks for the comments. I got several of my 78Cc confused. The 78CC with the M is a Vam 14A. The 78CC we discussed earlier with the CC wide & high touching the wreath was a Vam 17 (holder issue coin). James, it's been awhile since we talked. Still writing and detailing those coin auction catalogs? Are these scratches noted as "classic" a good thing or not? Still think its pretty neat!!

Have a great weekend to all.

Chet

Chet, I think what James meant is that Mint employees at Carson City were rather exuberant when it came to cleaning and polishing the dies, and it is very common to see these die polishing lines on many of the CC dates.

They don't add any premium to the coins, but they are often used as markers for the VAMmers.

Chris

James, it's been awhile since we talked. Still writing and detailing those coin auction catalogs?

Yes, indeed! I was just in the hallowed halls of Scotsman World Headquarters this very morning, dropping off descriptions and picking up new material to catalog. Either I'm doing an acceptable job, or nobody else out there will stoop down to my minimal compensation requirements lol !

James, it's been awhile since we talked. Still writing and detailing those coin auction catalogs?

Yes, indeed! I was just in the hallowed halls of Scotsman World Headquarters this very morning, dropping off descriptions and picking up new material to catalog. Either I'm doing an acceptable job, or nobody else out there will stoop down to my minimal compensation requirements lol !

Probably a little of both. Not too many people will work for a bag of Doritos.

James

I took your advise last year and got on Scotsman mailing list. Its a great catalog. They had several CC GSA's which I took a good interest. One was an 80 MS65 reverse of a 79 with a third of the right reverse toned. It may have been you that wrote in the Winter book noting this should be star worthy.I like the descriptive analysis like "just makes a 65" and your other verbage. Keep writing!!!

Chet

Michael

Just as an FYI, I took those super mag photo's (40X) with a high dollar Niikon lab microscope (but think about any scope would do). Focused the scope on the subject, Then put my standard Kodak auto focus camera to one of the occular lens on the scope, Shined a flashlight on the subject for light and click. I would rather use available equipment than buy a high dollar camera scope. With the wider view, just put a cheap jewlers loop over the camera lens (to increase magnification), panned in to focus and voila. Just a creative way to "focus" and spend money on coins, not the accessories.

Chet

Probably a little of both. Not too many people will work for a bag of Doritos.

They also issued him some new plastic.

CARDS-1-2.jpg:hi::roflmao: