• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950 proof Franklin all scratched up!

15 posts in this topic

I bought this coin a few weeks back. When i bought it, i did not see all the scratches in it. I was so bummed out when i looked at it with a loop and at the right angle.

Is there anything that can be done to make this coin look a little better? Should i just scrap it out for silver?

To see the scratches the coin has to be held just right. It does look very clean and liquid like at most angles, but when it is held just right, or should i say wrong, WOW! What a disappointment.

Thanks for any ideas and tips, even if it is just to scrap it and learn from a stupid rookie mistake.

Thanks again, Matt

junk50003.jpg

Being that no one is going to touch this one, i will show some pics of this coin not at its worst. For a person like me, with less than perfect eye sight, it looks pretty nice in hand.

Just knowing it is bad, i am not going to keep it. I'm sure someone would still enjoy it, but it wont be me.

junk50fronklin10.jpg

junk50fronklin8.jpg

junk50fronklin9.jpg

If anyone wants to make a trade or make an offer, you know exactly what you will get.

The local coin store offered me $100, maybe ill go that route.

Have a great night, Matt

Sounds like it needs to go to the local shop. Get what you can for it, it is worth a fraction of what it used to, but it is still a 1950 proof Franklin.

Personally, I'd be a seller at $100.

The hairlines cannot be helped - the coin is stuck with them forever.

That being said, toning -- whether natural or artificial -- will help attenuate the problem. If I had to keep the coin, I'd put it in a Kraft envelope and let it rest for at least the next ten years.

Personally, I'd be a seller at $100.

The hairlines cannot be helped - the coin is stuck with them forever.

That being said, toning -- whether natural or artificial -- will help attenuate the problem. If I had to keep the coin, I'd put it in a Kraft envelope and let it rest for at least the next ten years.

for sure take that offer.

Sorry for the newbie question, but is this what is considered "whizzing" marks?

Yes. However, usually whizzing shows a more circular pattern as it's usually done using a mechnical device such as a drill with glasswool attached. In this case, it was a careless collector probably using an abravise cleaner and/or cloth. At this point, the coin is ruined and is only worth melt value IMO.

I'd think you could get more than scrap for it. After all, it's a 1950 brother!! :)
I agree. I'd put it on Ebay with the photos you provided here and see what happens. Don't in anyway try to hide the fact that the coin is "harshly cleaned". I can't imagine you couldn't get more than $100 for it on Ebay...this is the stopper in the proof Franklin series for many; and I'd think it may just appeal to someone as a hole filler.

Good luck.

I've got impaired Franklin and Kennedy (both clad and silver) proofs from circulation, and they look a lot worse than that. The thing is, though, yours looks like it was actually wiped. I agree, though, if you can help it to tone, that'd attenuate the problems, somewhat, which is probably your best bet, if you're going to keep it.

Matt: Take offers at $100 and LEARN from the mistake. I've made similar screw-ups over the years. What did you pay for it? Use that number minus the $100 you get back and consider it cost for education. :D

jom