• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This slab just doesn't seem right - any advice?

7 posts in this topic

I have been building a set of NGC graded Peace Dollars - 63 or higher. I bought one on ebay that I received today. Sometimes you just get a hold of something that doesn't seem right - and this is one of those cases.

NGC slabs nest into a stack really nicely - but not this one. It is a hair smaller, and will sit atop of a group, but doesn't nest within a stack. On top of that the bar code and description on the front have the tan border - but not the words "Numismatic Guaranty Corporation". Lastly, the beaded edge has some excess plastic on the right hand side.

This is a VERY ORDINARY coin - 1922 Peace Dollar - MS63. I bought it for $13.00 or so. It has a hologram, but it seems funky.

Anyone have any insight to share?

I noticed the same thing with a NGC slabbed Peace I won in a club raffle...I'm guessing from the rather low serial number on the slab that it's an older holder and appears to have a couple rough spots on the edge

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

From the description it no doubt is an earlier generation holder. Just to clarify one common misconception, however, the identification numbers on the holders do not determine when coins were certified, as they are not used sequentially.