• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tab toners

16 posts in this topic

Ok, I have to admit that I find tab toners alluring.............Anybody else? I'd love to see em..........MJ

ex Bingham ex-Porter 67*

newrochellecomp.jpg

Generally when I see them they tend to be brown toning which I do not find in the least appealing. OTOH your NR is stunning MJ! :applause:

...What would cause the perfect circle of toning in the center of the obverse?

That is a hole in the paper/cardboard tab... hence the name for the type of toning. There is also an outer circular rim, and a linear piece that connects the outer circular part of the tab to the inner circle.

Believe it or not this coin is tab toned as well. I bought it from Larry Shephard. I had no idea until he told me to hold it at a 45 degree angle and to my surprise and delight it had the typical bullseye tab toning from the cardboard holder. I love these tab toners! MJ

oregoncomp.jpg

I absolutely adore tab toning! And I happen to like the New Rochelle commems as well, so that's a lethal combination for me.

Earlier this year, I cataloged the most beautiful New Rochelle that I have ever personally examined (and I like yours very much as well). It was sold here in a Scotsman auction ,though their images don't remotely do this coin justice.

It's an underrated commemorative design, in my opinion.

Believe it or not this coin is tab toned as well. I bought it from Larry Shephard. I had no idea until he told me to hold it at a 45 degree angle and to my surprise and delight it had the typical bullseye tab toning from the cardboard holder. I love these tab toners! MJ

oregoncomp.jpg

I saw a beautiful trio of Oregon Trail that were tab-toned and still with the card for sale a few years ago on a non-eBay site, but before I could hit the BIN, they were sold.

Chris

oregoncomp.jpg [/quote

Quite simply, a gorgeous coin!