• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Walker-- Comments welcome!

11 posts in this topic

Supertooth wanted me to show you a coin that I bought many years ago that has die polish striation lines. This is a PCGS graded MS-64 1941-s Walker. Don't feel bad to say you don't like it as I'm not overly fond of it but I find this to be an interesting example of die polish marks. The reverse has no obvious die marks. Sometimes you never realize you have toning on a white coin until you examine a good picture of it.

41-s.jpg

41-stails.jpg

Gary, Bob asked you to post that coin in response to my recent Walker purchase. I would love to hear your comments on my coin, posted here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3944087&fpart=1

Bob does not seem to like die polish lines, although they are in large part responsible for the elegant prooflike surfaces on several of my coins. I do not mind die polish lines, and on a blast white coin I think they can often be very interesting.

Your Walker appears to have blazing luster - yet another effect of die polish. That also appears to be rather well struck for a 41S. Can we get a picture of the reverse? I'm going to say I like that coin.

To illustrate what I mean about the die polish sometimes imparting prooflike effects to a coin, here are two obverse shots of the same coin. It is fully prooflike (and designated so by NGC), but it has a tremendous amount of die polish. Needless to say, this is one of my favorite coins.

JPA831obverse2.jpg

JPA831obverse3.jpg

On Franklin's as such, often times those die polish lines are mistaken for marks left by a vigorous rub of steel wool. In the past I have picked off some MS Frankies everyone else thought was junk.

It is always interesting to follow some lines in the fields that dive under the devices, only to reappear on the other side.

Gary---- Thank you, my dear friend, for posting your coin at my request.

All of us here are lucky to have Gary---and his NEW camera.

Saw this coin in person about 5 years ago. Just shook my head----and I guess that, in truth, I'm still just shaking my head. But, as I mentioned before, It "IS NOT" whether we like a certain thing or not---but that we have folks like Gary---who will take very decent pictures of his coins---and allow all of us to learn from what we see. For this coin is definitely a learning tool about "raised" die polishing lines.

This piece is the most dramatic example that I believe that I have "EVER" seen on a Walker coin. The coin speaks for itself. Great collecting to all of you. Bob [supertooth]

This trade dollar has PL surfaces, although not designated on the holder, and a lot of die polish lines (some of the lines are from friction or a wipe, but many are die polish)

TradeDollar1876PLobvbeta.jpg

TradeDollar1876PLrevbeta.jpg