• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctored photos?

18 posts in this topic

What do you guys make of this sellers pics. It looks like thee is some added black at least. He popped up recently with all these great DMPL's and so far his customers are happy and he's getting good prices on raw coins. But if they are what he says,he's also leaving money on the table.

http://shop.ebay.com/besscitycoins/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

James, define what you see in the pics that makes them juiced? I don't have the experience to make a judgment on this but would want the advice of those more experienced, thanks HT

Not sure if the pictures are juiced or not, but they definitely look like they are in NGC gaskets. What does that mean? To me it means, he sent them in to get graded and they didn't come back as expected and he thinks he can do better by selling them as raw coins.

Not sure if the pictures are juiced or not, but they definitely look like they are in NGC gaskets. What does that mean? To me it means, he sent them in to get graded and they didn't come back as expected and he thinks he can do better by selling them as raw coins.

Yeah,he said somewhere he just uses the one gasket and doesn't mean anything.I've tried similr props myself.

Good point about crackouts .If you guys were selling a cracked out coin,would you mention if it had been previously graded and give the grade?

So many dmpls. i just have a feeling to stay away.

He looks just like another new seller. The same holder to "show the coins" and much of the wording are alarmingly alike. They are in the same area, state, ect = Same person

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150431981692&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT

The coin arrived very nice. Better than the picture actually.

I have no complaints, but then again, i got this coin very cheap IMO and i am happy with the deal..

I will try to get a pic tonight and post it.

Take care, Matt

While the seller may be offering problem coins cracked out of NGC and PCGS holders without telling the whole truth his photos may be his best attempt enhanced a bit with Photoshop.

In his defense I have never been able to take a decent photo of a really nice Morgan. And I have spent many hours trying.

Then again I tell the truth when selling on eBay. Mama didn't raise no liars...

looks like lighting issues or a auto correct was used. i wouldnt buy from that person cause if they were true dmpl then he would be asking far more. and they sure wouldnt be out of slab.

The seller seems to be lighting the coins so they are presented at their best - nothing devious there. The reflection photos clearly show surface defects and the facing images show lots of scrapes and marks typical of ordinary coins. Reflective fields accentuate defects, though. His 800 pixel images are reasonably clear and the numerous dings are obvious.

Doesn't seem to be anything unusual either for the coins or presentation....just an opinion.

Those look like juiced images to me.

I should augment my statement by saying that I don't think the images are terribly juiced, just more than "tweaked". I wouldn't expect coins with good mirrors to have so much apparent haze in the fields, and my own experience tells me that overly tweaking the contrast on an image can cause that artifact.

Those look like juiced images to me.

I should augment my statement by saying that I don't think the images are terribly juiced, just more than "tweaked". I wouldn't expect coins with good mirrors to have so much apparent haze in the fields, and my own experience tells me that overly tweaking the contrast on an image can cause that artifact.

James,

When does tweaked become juiced?I get lred flags when a newish seller has so many similar coins.On a couple I thought I was seeing some smudged black in the fields covering something.That's why I posted here.You guys are better at seeing subtlties than I am. I sometimes use Ebays' Autofix but that's it and even so DMPLs and PL's are hard to get a natural looking picture.Here's one I took a while ago.This picture is about what I get with a DMPL whether a single or two sided.No Autofix on this

80SPCGS641.jpg

Here's the same image with adjustments to emphasize defects. On many auction photos it is possible to recover hidden data. (This one didn't have much to hide.)

1880-adj-sm.jpg

PS: The on-line seller seems to be getting very high prices.

Here's the same image with adjustments to emphasize defects. On many auction photos it is possible to recover hidden data. (This one didn't have much to hide.)

PS: The on-line seller seems to be getting very high prices.

Funny, what looks like toning in your edited version is in reality a reflection on the left obverse and shadows on the hair etc. from bad lighting. The coin has no toning,but there is some visible haze in the fields.

Enhancing an image commonly leaves artifacts, including over emphasis of stray light from nearby objects.