• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT/NT?

15 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260583507641&Category=39463&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

What do ya'll think? I'm building a toner type set, and don't have this spot filled. It caught my eye as an attractive piece. I am rather hesitant as the pattern seems too perfect for NT, but I have seen washingtons look like that before. What also worries me is that the seller has 3 other toners with identical patterns. My guess is AT, but for a few dollars it still seems reasonable and somewhat market acceptable.

This seller is one of a handful of people who are using ebay as a venue for selling raw coins with eye-catching toning. This particular seller has offered Franklins, Morgans, Peace dollars, Washies, Rosies, etc., all with the same look regarding toning (gold centers, with blue/purple around the rims). Act prudently.

In my earlier post, I was being diplomatic. That coin would never grade if sent to NGC or PCGS because of the AT look. When looking at any toned coin, always ask yourself if the colors and pattern of the toning seem reasonable. If not, pass.

If you are shopping on ebay's website, notice that a number of sellers have been offering coins with purple and/or electric blue coloration, and that their coins have particular looks (at least to me). When you see an ebay seller offering more than a few raw coins with similar toning patterns and colors, that's a good reason to be very suspicious.

Might someone share the item ID number or embed images of the coin so that I can see it? I will not click ebay links on the NGC forums because they load ebay affiliate cookies (r-o-v-e-r cookies) on the viewer's computer and these cookies track your movements on ebay and give a percentage of the money you generate from your ebay purchases to the site that placed the cookies on the computer.

For consideration: For $15-$18 you can get the 3 piece 40% Silver Bicentennial Set, take out the quarter and trade the Ike & Kennedy for more fillers. They came in a flat envelope and the coins were in a cello pack. Most were high quality.

If it's the Bicentennial quarter that is imaged in the thread then 100% AT in my opinion with no chance of ever getting into a PCGS or NGC problem-free holder. You may like it for a few bucks, but I always think of this type of rationalization as something similar to supporting the folks in China who produce counterfeit US coinage and sell it on ebay. That is, you support them with a small purchase and thousands of others support them with their small purchases, too, and then folks wonder why we are drowning in a sea of counterfeits or AT coins or whatever. The answer to why we are drowning in a sea of these pieces is that there is a demand for low priced fakes and that the sum of this demand is quite profitable to service for those willing to do so.

By the way, I have seen thousands of toned WQs over the years, but do not recall an original coin toned in a similar manner.

No doubt AT to me. And Chris, you should know by now that good feedback means absolutely nothing.
I agree on both counts. But I would qualify the second part and say that often, even very bad sellers have great feedback.

No doubt AT to me. And Chris, you should know by now that good feedback means absolutely nothing.

You're going to have to speak a little louder. I can't see too well.

Chris