• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inherited a fake 1914 d $2.5 Indian Gold Eagle...

63 posts in this topic

If someone were going to go through the trouble of making a fake common date coin, why would they make it out of 22k gold? Why not just use a real coin for jewelry?

These were mostly made in the middle east in the 1960s, and they made quarter eagles throught double eagles, and they made them of excellent quality simply for the premium they could get. At the time gold was pegged at $35 per ounce, but double eagles were selling for $48, a nice premium at the time. The smaller denominations offered even better margins, hence the reasons for the high gold content. Today we're used to Chinese fakes of steel, but back then, entrepreneurs could double their money making fakes, plus open it up to the American market (remember bullion was illegal for Americans to own then, but come in with a 1914-D quarter eagle and any American could buy it under the rules at the time!). Hard to say for certain from photos, but my first instinct on this one was Middle Eastern fake.

If someone were going to go through the trouble of making a fake common date coin, why would they make it out of 22k gold? Why not just use a real coin for jewelry?

These were mostly made in the middle east in the 1960s, and they made quarter eagles throught double eagles, and they made them of excellent quality simply for the premium they could get.

Actually, while all denominations were being produced, the most heavily faked U.S. gold coins from that era were the gold dollars and the gold $3's since the numismatic premium over melt was a lot higher for these denominations than for the other denominations.

Update!

Traded the coin today at melt since spot was at a nice $ today. The coin was fake in terms of a 1914-D but the coin was real gold - so I traded for a real $2.5 liberty that was ex-jewelry and put the new coin back in the original ring setting I kept. I'm thinking I made the situation right - there was no way I was going to wear a fake coin regardless of where it came from.

Thanks again for the advice!