• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inherited a fake 1914 d $2.5 Indian Gold Eagle...

63 posts in this topic

hhhuuummm "Crackouts & regrade" hhhhuuuummmmm "review for upgrade". coins upgrade all the time.in & out game.apparently you dont understand the "true" Mechanics of things either.I encourage you to keep typing,and pretty soon Ill be upgraded from "new 60" to "smarter than you Gem66" If you dont tell people their potential options,you are only withholding them from success.If you continue to withhold them,they wont respect you.

Star_wars_kick.gif

Like I always say,they more you type,the less you look like a "professional" anything.My statements are true.Without a great photo,there is no certain way to tell.I would never rebuild the motor in my car,by asking a lawn mower mechanic for help.And Now I will never ask you for advice on coins.The grading companies are being really cautious right now.If it looks funny it gets bagged,Did they do a real comparison to all the known dies? no telling.2nd look? wouldnt hurt a thing.so you can argue yourself in the ground if you like.Im not going to argue.I made clear factual statements.OP the choice is up to you.

Quitkickingyourself.gif

Well you just proved my point . Do you have anything to bring to these forums other then dribble ? What don’t you understand ?? The coin was determined not to be genuine by NGC . Based on the photos I agree with them % 100 . Your comment about the different dies proves how little you know about coins and the grading process. Ok Mr. smarty pants , how many different dies were used for the 1914-D Quarter Eagle ?? And would it even matter if a different die was used on this coin??

It doesn't matter if a different die was used - the devices in question (particularly, the eagle) is 100% uniform across all dies. If the shape of the beak, strength and shape of the feathers, and whatever diagnostics the pro's noticed are not right - the coin is fake. No amount of nonsense on your part SD is going to change that.

I would say resend it in.Ive noticed on some things their looked at too hard.and just because it was "questioned" doesn't mean it isnt real.maybe call NGC talk to a grader,have it re-evaluated.

added,Sometimes perfectly unc coins,will look rather un-natural after being jewelry pieces

I haven't read the other replies yet, but must strongly disagree with that. Even if it is genuine (and, by the way, I have no reason to doubt NGC's opinion), due to its condition, it is not worth the cost to try to get it slabbed. And assuming it's counterfeit, as long as it's gold, it's value isn't that different from a genuine example. Don't throw good money after bad, especially when there is essentially no upside in doing so.

apparently you dont understand the "true" Mechanics of things either.

Please enlighten us.

How did the universe begin?

What caused Neanderthal man to die off?

I know when someone is getting a "lube job" when all they needed was air in their tires. It's a shame. You'd be good at inflating tires.

Chris

I made a clear valid point.You have no idea of any knowledge I have.But your rude words are implanted in stone on the internet forever,for people to see your "professionalism"

Every time you attack my posts & personally attack my knowledge. I defend myself.And it is uncalled for.Stop putting me down,and I will stop making you, make yourself look bad.Do yourself a favor.stop typing.

The OP has "0" dollars involved.

I made a clear valid point.You have no idea of any knowledge I have.But your rude words are implanted in stone on the internet forever,for people to see your "professionalism"

Every time you attack my posts & personally attack my knowledge. I defend myself.And it is uncalled for.Stop putting me down,and I will stop making you, make yourself look bad.Do yourself a favor.stop typing.

An long as you continue spouting such garbage, I will continue to exercise my right to voice my opinion.

Chris

Obviously you could not answer my question because you are basically clueless on this subject.

Here is the answer:

It would not matter how many different dies were used because all those dies would have been made from a master die. Other then die buckling or die cracks the diagnostics of the coin would be the same for all dies. Considering there were only 448,000 1914-D Quarter Eagles minted I doubt there would be a need to use more then a few dies.

We are talking about a coin that was minted in 1914 not the 1800’s when you would have many different die type’s like you see with Bust Half Dollars. Also a grading company such NGC will use numerous different tools to determine if a coin is genuine.

I came here 3 years ago and made a dumb comment and a few people jumped all over me. Rather then acting like a fool and defending my obviously naïve post I asked questions , listened and learned.

Sd you have proven that you know little about coins and a lot about nothing. I suggest you spend more time learning and less time trying to fool people into thinking that you have some magical powers of knowledge.

Here is a perfect example of TPG over looking coins

LINK

ATS link

This has been pointed out as a impaired PROOF ATS,I agree & I have already found similar coins overlooked.believe what you guys like.it happens.Were human we make mistakes.2nd opinions are always welcome in my eyes.People are diagnosed with deadly conditions,to find later it is not deadly.Standing still "hard headed" is the same as going backwards,as us that continue to move forward,will get to a point where we no longer see you.you will be in the past.old ways dont always work in new times.Expand that mind,or forever be trapped inside your self.

hhhuuummm "Crackouts & regrade" hhhhuuuummmmm "review for upgrade". coins upgrade all the time.in & out game.apparently you dont understand the "true" Mechanics of things either.

Here is a perfect example of TPG over looking coins

LINK

ATS link

This has been pointed out as a impaired PROOF ATS,

Neither of these has anything to do with the topic at hand.

The first comment has to do with problem free coins getting different grades.

The second comment has to do with a circulated proof being labeled as a buissiness strike.

Neither of them has anything to do with Fake Vs. Genuine.

You have no idea the knowledge base that you are trying to rebuke.

Hint for those who might be interested - If you want someone to stop talking, quit replying to him. Before long, he will get bored from the lack of attention and focus his efforts elsewhere.

SD4000...you are an expert in one arena...derailing threads.

I find you rather annoying and cannot stay on a discussion topic. This is not a pedestal where you can spout your rhetoric.

Thanks Mark Feld for your analysis of this coin...that makes a whole lot of sense. Perhaps the OP can have it assayed to determine gold content. Lots of local gold buying places will determine KT before purchasing. Just simply change your mind once they determine value.

I made a valid statement.you guys are the ones Jaded & derailing.every thread I post in. you point a finger at me,and say im stupid.You dont even know me or my knowledge.,,you attack I defend. I stay on topic as you derail. I can recover from your put downs,you cannot.Resend it in for free.comes back detail graded,you get what you want,comes back fake,sell it at gold value.its still win win.

Motorcycle_fall_recovery.gif

:popcorn:

Gee! That's one. Now all you need is about 9,999,999 more to prove the validity of your argument. Do us all a big favor and don't come back until you've found the others.

Chris

Look where this thread has gone...

Thank you to everyone for their insight and I will not send the coin back to NGC for grading again. It was $25 well spent - had the coin been real, I would have a secure momento of my grandfather. Since he wore the coin for 20 plus years and it was polished many times - that may answer the shine on the obv. asked a few pages back.

Memorial Day weekend there is a annual local show in Jacksonville. I will take the coin w/ the NGC response and see if I can find a absolute answer for my grandmother at a minimum. Since this was purchased in '71 - could the local dealer have had no clue?

On the good side - the 14k ring setting is real and I may just find a reasonable $2.5 to go back in the ring and make things right. :)

Thank you to everyone for their insight and I will not send the coin back to NGC for grading again. It was $25 well spent - had the coin been real, I would have a secure momento of my grandfather. Since he wore the coin for 20 plus years and it was polished many times - that may answer the shine on the obv. asked a few pages back.

Memorial Day weekend there is a annual local show in Jacksonville. I will take the coin w/ the NGC response and see if I can find a absolute answer for my grandmother at a minimum. Since this was purchased in '71 - could the local dealer have had no clue?

On the good side - the 14k ring setting is real and I may just find a reasonable $2.5 to go back in the ring and make things right. :)

Put it back in the ring and wear it fool! (That's a joke, and not supposed to sound harsh, if it did)

kbsig106...glad you have come to a sensible conclusion and I want to apologize for anything I may have said off topic, its just that we have a real problem with one of the contributors here.

You didn't ask for this type of advice, but here goes anyway...

Regardless of the nature of the coin, it along with the ring, is still a "secure memento" of your grandfather.THAT is what he wore for 20 plus years. Maybe the seller knew the coin was counterfeit and maybe not. Maybe your grandfather knew it and maybe not.

Put the coin back in the ring and savor it, as is, as a reminder of your grandfather.

Yeah the problem is you cant keep your mouth shut .when Im around.no self control.like my 12yr old,True fact,everything in Texas is BIG

OP I still believe you may find a 2nd opinion a good thing.

in before you can edit...this is the true sense of trolling a thread to antagonize.

You didn't ask for this type of advice, but here goes anyway...

Regardless of the nature of the coin, it along with the ring, is still a "secure memento" of your grandfather.THAT is what he wore for 20 plus years. Maybe the seller knew the coin was counterfeit and maybe not. Maybe your grandfather knew it and maybe not.

Put the coin back in the ring and savor it, as is, as a reminder of your grandfather.

I agree but my grandmother is now the inquisitive one on this now that the results came back. Plus in my 10 years of serious collecting, this is my first suspect coin and look to learn from this as well. Last thing I want to do is make this type of mistake with my own money.

This board took me to a new level in understanding while reading opinions and solid advice. I will find this thread and report back on the 2nd opinion's at the GJCC coin show next month.

FYI also I posted here 1st,that would be before you.and you opened your mouth first,I didnt comment about you at all,and you couldnt resist opening that mouth to "derail" me personally.this is why I stay on the forum,this is why I dont get warnings.because I am defending myself,not trolling.I am commenting on a thread & fighting Internet bully's off my back.its getting OLD like you.

OP I still believe a true determination cannot be made from your photos,they lack good color and slight detail.I hope you get your answers at a show.

Your comment about the different dies proves how little you know about coins and the grading process. Ok Mr. smarty pants , how many different dies were used for the 1914-D Quarter Eagle ?? And would it even matter if a different die was used on this coin??

An authenticator would want to compare the subject coin to dies from known counterfeits, not known authentic dies. The counterfeit dies are well known and documented in high-resolution photographs.

I would never have taken the coin out of the ring, for two reasons:

1) As others have said I would want to keep the ring intact as a reminder of my grandfather . I am very sentimental about these type of things.

2) Because the coin was in a ring and polished it would never get more then a details grade even if it were to be authentic. This would limit the value of the coin to close to melt.

As others have posted , put the coin back on the ring and don’t waste any more time

having the coin reviewed by NGC.

The reason there are so many counterfeit gold dollars and quarter eagles made out of 90% gold, is that they are much easier pass and sell - at pawn shops, jewelry stores, swap meets,.. Even now the dollar has less than $50 in gold and the quarter eagle less than $240. When these were made, less than a third of that. Put that thing back in the ring and cherish your memory of grandfather OR sell it at a pawn shop.

cash for gold will give you 30% of melt for it.

1914-D is not a key date, and it is ex-jewelry - why did you send it in at all?