• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just something for James to rant about!!

13 posts in this topic

Here's something that I see James rant about once in a while... foreign objects in slabs. At first you might just notice a beautiful coin, but take a look at 6 oc or so. and then the closeup pics.

kook05.JPG

kook05-1.JPG

kook05-2.JPG

No, it's not loose, it's jammed between the coin and the outer gasket. I'm sure they'd fix it and I should have brought that one and the quarter that's in a half holder to the ANA show, but I totally forgot!!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That plastic is not there accidentally. It's appears to be a shim to keep the coin from being loose when the coin doesn't exactly match any of our standard cores. It's soft plastic and completely harmless.

That's strange. I believe I have other Kooks in slabs / gaskets of that sort with no such shim. I can't be 100% certain, but I'll check when I'm home tonight.

That's strange. I believe I have other Kooks in slabs / gaskets of that sort with no such shim. I can't be 100% certain, but I'll check when I'm home tonight.

I've seen the same thing on many slabs.Looks to me like it is deliberate.

I have 5 others, none of them have that chip in them.

NGC's DWLange says its deliberate.I think so too,but it doesn't mean I like it.And close up it looks like a piece of random plastic.The edges don't look professionally made at all. So,why only one out of five?Don't have a clue.