• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outsourcing coin grading???

6 posts in this topic

Should a wall street listed grading service start outsourcing their grading of economy and modern coins to Mexico or India in order to alleviate the 90-100 day backup? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Would it be good for their bottom line? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Those European graders are brutal. sumo.gif If their standards ever caught on here PCGS and NGC would look like AGC. devil.gif

Of course the new standards would bring about new price lists. The old MS-65 price would become the new MS-61 price. 893whatthe.gif

You can play with grade labels all you want, but it won’t lower the prices. If the alligators don’t get you the mosquitoes will. confused-smiley-013.gif

To clarify the point, the "European grading standards" are a lot tougher than the American standards. As an American collector grading British coins, what I would call "EF" (and I'm known to be on the conservative side) in a British coin, they would call "VF." In general if you grade coins by the "old" American standards, you call lower things by a full grade using the European system.

Using some of the "American standards" that I have seen of late, you might have to drop them by two grades. 893naughty-thumb.gif

On a lighter note, I rather image that ACG has a lot of time on its hands right now. Why outsource to Mexico when you can keep the jobs in the good old USA? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif