• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Washington Quarters, And Other Coins, Available Here

4 posts in this topic

It isn't often that I post coins for sale on the boards. In fact, this is the first time I have offered anything on the NGC boards. Listed below are a number of raw, silver Washington quarters and a few other coins. The coins are generally blasty white, far superior to what one might reasonably expect to find on a bourse floor and have never been put out for sale by me before. They are coins that I have picked up over the years because they were individually such nice pieces. The images are taken with film and a single Ott lamp. There is, unfortunately, too little light on the coins to really show them. A description is written for each coin to help with analysis. There are also prices for each coin. One of my pet peeves is when folks write "POR" or ask one to inquire as to the price, after all, if you're selling a coin, you should know what you need for it. Prices may seem stiff on some pieces but the coins are generally of superb quality.

1944-S MS66: Snowy, blast white with some weakness at the rim near LIBERTY and a set of three or so light hits at the truncation of the neck. The reverse is full MS67. $35.

1947 MS64: Snowy, blast white with scattered marks on the obverse, most notably a field mark behind Washington's head. The reverse is full MS66. A coin that would slab MS64 or MS65 and would be offered nearly everywhere else as a solid MS65. $15.

1954-S MS66: Essentially mark-free on both obverse and reverse, however, the coin has a weak strike, which is the norm for the date. This is all that holds it back from an MS67 grade. Blast white. $15.ON HOLD

1944 MS65: One of the few coins here that isn't blast white. This one has completely original, medium depth patina that is a little deeper than shows in the image. There is a scattered milling mark in Washington's hair and a small, toned-over mark near the inner joint of the eagle's right wing. The coin has really good luster that I think is quite attractive. $20.

1944 MS65: This coin was bought at the same time as the preceeding piece and is somewhat lighter than the image infers. There is a small mark near the bridge of the nose, otherwise, this is a very clean coin. Terrific, rolling luster and the toning deepens near the rims. I think both pieces have the remnants of very old, partial prints. $30.

1941 MS66: This coin has blinding, blasty white luster and a near medal-like strike. The surfaces are very clean and I would be stunned to see it certify as lower than MS66. $45.ON HOLD

1944 MS64: I think my grading is tough on this coin as it is clean enough to be an MS66. However, the luster is somewhat impeded by the medium-depth toning. It's still an attractive coin, it's just how I feel right now. $12.

1942-S MS64: This is the key to the 1941 and on set. The coin has better eye appeal than the grade might suggest but there are some light, scattered marks on the obverse along with a mark in the hairline by the forehead. Blast white with extremely light violet toning clinging to the rims. There is quite a spread between MS64 and MS65 prices on this coin. $100.

1934 MS66: This is a truly superb coin! The 1934 has three distinct motto varieties with this being the most common; the medium motto. The surfaces are pebbly, the rims wide, the luster booming and the coin is devoid of all but the most trivial of blemishes. Blast white. $120.ON HOLD

1935 MS65: This coin is not quite as flawless as the 1934, which was previously written about. However, if not for that coin, then one might be tempted to call this an MS66. There is a small mark on Washington's forehead and another on the upper tip of the eagle's right wing. A wonderful, blast white piece. $70.

1935 MS65: The eye appeal of this coin is really terrific. There is a mark in the field near the rim, in front of Washington's portrait, as well as other, trivial blemishes. It is somewhat less than the previous coin in terms of technical surfaces. The coin, though, has some great, albeit minimal toning on it. Largely blast white, the toning is mostly over the reverse near QUARTER DOLLAR and is quite a deep rainbow over those letters. $65.

1937-D MS64: There is a wonderful patina on this coin even though it is a silky, white piece. The surfaces are also cleaner than a typical MS64 but, I don't think they measure up to MS65. This coin has a great look and is a little tougher than guide prices might have one believe. $80.

1938 MS64: Far and away nicer than one might expect for the grade. The strike is terrific, the surfaces steely white and there aren't a large number of hits. On the obverse there is a hit on the chin and two in the hairline behind the eye. Other than that, this is a pretty clean piece. $90.ON HOLD

1952 MS66: Decidedly not a blast white coin. I think the images are a little more blue than the coin itself. It is, however, blue on both obverse and reverse. The color is attractive and there are some steely highlights on both sides. Washington has a mark on his forehead, which is quite old as it is completely toned over, while the rest of the coin is quite clean. The strike is remniscent of a medal. This is the kind of coin that the services call MS67 but I don't like the look at that grade. I think MS66 is perfect for it. The color is absolutely guaranteed to be completely original. $60.

1950-S MS66: Way cool coin. The reverse has an intense, satiny white patina while the obverse has streaky, straw and champagne color over white surfaces. The coin has excellent luster and few marks. Not a monster, but quite nice. $25.

1934 Light Motto MS63 Ex PCGS: As the title says, this coin was broken out of a PCGS holder as MS63. There were two small catches, though, about the coin. The first was that it was in with a PCGS label that did not state that it was a light motto coin, which it obviously is. The second, though, was that when I broke it out of the holder it appeared to have been lightly cleaned at one time. Look at this coin in-hand and it is very attractive. I bought it for very little money as it was mis-labeled. Please note that the light motto coin is extremely scarce. $25.

1944-D MS64: Stuck like a medal with incredible, blinding white luster. There is a thin mark diagonally through part of Washington's hair. I pulled this from an original roll just before the State Quarter series started. $15.

1939-D MS64?: Notice the question mark? The coin is a high end MS64, with terrific, light patina and beautiful white surfaces. However, there are slide marks across Washington's face from an album. OUCH! The image captures them better than they are seen in-hand. They are only visible at certain angles. So, how does one price this? I price it at AU money even though it is strictly an MS piece. $10.

1942 MS64?: Another question mark coin. It is a nice MS64 with some moderate to heavy roll rub on the high points of Washington's hair. It is an MS piece but has that one problem. $3.

I'll add more coins later. Feel free to ask questions and please let me know if any of the links don't work. Postage is simply the exact cost. You can ship the coins back if they don't sing to you. Have fun! smile.gif

More coins added 2/13/04-

1945-S Merc MS65FB: The obverse is largely white with some slight marks on the neck. I don't believe any of them are particularly bad, however, I believe in aggragate that they limit the obverse grade to an MS64. There is some very slight peripheral color. The reverse is much nicer and is an MS66FB with really only a milling mark above E PLURIBUS UNUM. The reverse has a truly lovely halo of toning that is a medium-depth red at the perimeter that melts into gold with a hint of lime in the center. The bands are full, but are weak. The image of this coin appears accurate, albeit a tad dark, on my screen. This coin has a heck of a nice look to it. $95.

1901 IHC MS64RB: This is hardly a tough date, nor is it a super high grade. It's just a nice coin I picked up years ago. The obverse is a fairly medium and orange color, it appears much nicer than the image. The first four feather tips are slightly weak, the others look to be quite nice. There is a little streaky woodgrain toning on the coin and that is what attracted me to it as it has a teriffic, original "feel" to it. The reverse is a more mellowed color and somewhat less streaky. It's just a nice coin. $60.

1916 Lincoln MS65BN: Another coin that is not a key date, nor is it a "Registry quality" piece. The reverse is a wonderful, dark chocolate brown with slight color hidden in the fields. The strike is fabulous. I would grade it MS66BN. The obverse has slightly lighter color with dappled red throughout. I would also grade this as MS66BN. So, if both sides are MS66BN, why is the grade only MS65BN? I think it needs just a touch more luster to grade an MS66BN, therefore, I am more comfortable with this coin in the MS65BN level. I apologize for the image, it is fairly worthless. $25.

A number of coins have been sold, however, I can't edit my first post anymore because I get this statement-

This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

So, please do not be disappointed if a coin that appears available is actually spoken for. Thanks.