• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANACS GRADING BEFORE SLABS/ PHOTO CERTIFICATION

17 posts in this topic

I have been out of the field of coin collecting for some time, just recently regaining my interest and have not been current on recent changes etc. so please excuse the following question if it seems too basic.

I have a $ 20 Gold St. Gaudens that was graded by ANACS long before coins were put into slabs. However, ANACS did return the coins with Black & White Photos of the coin on an embossed card that provided an opinion that the coin graded as 60/63. The coin and the photos have been sitting in a safe deposit box for about 24 years.

I had been considering submitting this coin to be graded and put into a slab and thought this was a form of Cross Over grading but now find out that since it isn't in a slab it is considered the same as a raw coin and would be submitted as if the ANACS submission never took place.

My question was and still is...is the 1986 ANACS Photo Graded certification of any value now or should I consider paying to have this again graded by NGS? If I did submit it, can anyone tell me, in general of course, would the grade be more likely to be higher or lower? I realize the coin needs to be seen to be graded, but what I am trying to figure out is are today's standards different enough from the 1986 ANACS standards to make any difference?

Any opinion if I should or should not bother to to submit it again or just live with the grade ANACS gave me in 1986? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome :hi:

If you want to get it graded by NGC, just send it to NGC but keep the ANACS photo cert

and if you don't like the grade that NGC gives you can always crack it out and you are

back to were you started.

The ANACS cert does add a little value, but would be better if graded/slabbed by NGC.

Thanks for your idea, I could do that. Do you have any opinion on how different today's grading standards are compared to the 1986 ANACS standards? In other words, might it be more likely to be graded higher or lower than then?

Compared to today's standards, the ANACS photo certificates were somewhat conservative. Your coin is likely to grade higher today. Since you got a split grade with 2 different grades though, I can't really guess what the coin will grade. If it was something like 63/63 it might be MS64 today, as an example. But with it being 60/63 you'd have to send it in to see.

There are any number of people here who can give you a pretty good idea what it might grade, but they would have to see photos first.

Chris

There are any number of people here who can give you a pretty good idea what it might grade, but they would have to see photos first.

Chris

I almost forgot! Welcome to the neighborhood, goldbug!

Chris

The only thing that really matters about ANACS papers these days is IF you know the coin is the SAME PIECE that is pictured on the papers, YOU KNOW that the coin is genuine. Don't underestimate the value of that. You know that you can send the coin i, and have it come back as the genuine article. Though the years a lot of collectors and investors have been stuck with counterfeit gold coins.

On average ANACS paper grades are conservative, but not all of them are. There was a period when ANACSgot liberal with their grades, and then they announced that they are tightening their standards after a certain date. That was the beginning of the end for ANACS.

ANACS parpers are not worth much in the current market because some people have a problem with matching the picture with the coin. That's why slabs came into being.

I've only had one of my coins that had an ANACS paper graded. It was a 1909-S-VDB cent that ANACS graded VF-20. I knew the coin was better than that. When I had it slabbed the grade was EF-40. (thumbs u

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Personally, I love the old ANACS photocerts. There are many undergraded treasures to be found associated with them. Best of luck!

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Personally, I love the old ANACS photocerts. There are many undergraded treasures to be found associated with them. Best of luck!

Welcome Goldbug. :hi:

Could somebody please e-mail me pictures of a Washington, D.C. ANACS certificate and an early (pre-adhesive label) Colorado Springs ANACS photo certificate, with or without grading, that I may use in an article I have written for COINage on the early days of coin authentication?

Photo credit can be given.

Please e-mail to: CaptHenway (at) aol.COM

tHANKS,

td

I sent you pictures of the first three certificate types (the non-sticker label varieties) The fourth generation was the first with labels and it was produced at both locations.

That first certificate is very tough to find. They produced them for over four years, but I've only seen three of them in the last twelve years of actively looking for slab/certificate varieties and the one I sent is the earliest one I've seen. (July 9th, 1975).

Hello,

I have well over 50 coins with the old Anacs Photo certificates. Everything from a Draped Bust Large Cent to $5 lib. Gold Piece and lots of stuff in between.

I have noticed a few trends with these. First, Morgan dollars represent the largest percentage of these still in existence, followed by Mercs and Buffalos. For the most part, circulated coins tend to be conservatively graded, and UNC pieces tend to be accuately graded by today standards with exception of the grade of MS60/60, many of these are in the 62 to 63 range today.

Here is an example of a coin graded MS60/60.

1904O7.jpg1904R7.jpg

Relicncoins has some nice certificates there. The first one is the third generation of certificate. It was the first one to come with a grade on it and it's period of use overlaps the start of grading so that style comes both with and without grades.

The second is the sixth generation used from late1983 through Dec 1985. It is the only variety that contains information on the size of the coin.

The last appears to be the 10th generation used from sometime in 1987 til late 1989. I say appears because it can be hard to tell the 9th and 10 generations apart from pictures if they are of silver coins. The 9th generation used B/W photos and the 10th used color photos. (The center band is red seal on black band on both varieties.) The 9th can be hard to find because it was used for only part of 1987. ANACS did not intend to use B/W photos on these at all. but due to technical difficulties the first certificates did not use color. Neither the 9th or 10 generations used dates on the certificates. They are the only ones that don't.

Relicncoins has some nice certificates there. The first one is the third generation of certificate. It was the first one to come with a grade on it and it's period of use overlaps the start of grading so that style comes both with and without grades.

The second is the sixth generation used from late1983 through Dec 1985. It is the only variety that contains information on the size of the coin.

The last appears to be the 10th generation used from sometime in 1987 til late 1989. I say appears because it can be hard to tell the 9th and 10 generations apart from pictures if they are of silver coins. The 9th generation used B/W photos and the 10th used color photos. (The center band is red seal on black band on both varieties.) The 9th can be hard to find because it was used for only part of 1987. ANACS did not intend to use B/W photos on these at all. but due to technical difficulties the first certificates did not use color. Neither the 9th or 10 generations used dates on the certificates. They are the only ones that don't.

I'm guessing I have several more generations then, because I have certificates dated for every year from 1980 until they quit puting dates on them in 1986.