• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting piece of campaign memorabilia

13 posts in this topic

I thought Bill Jones might appreciate this!

I won this yesterday from one of my French Connections. It was produced to object to the 1852 French election and called upon the people to oppose the Second Empire of Napoleon III. It also serves as a reminder that the people of France have already endured three previous revolutions - 1789, 1830 & 1848.

This seems like pretty risky business, given the period when it was produced.

Chris

m22.JPG

m22a.JPG

It looks as though it is commemorating events or laws that were passed in the preceeding years and the side with more writing is telling folks to become educated and to get involved with writing, discussing and disagreeing with either what has happened or what is about to happen.

It looks as though it is commemorating events or laws that were passed in the preceeding years and the side with more writing is telling folks to become educated and to get involved with writing, discussing and disagreeing with either what has happened or what is about to happen.

From what I could translate, the reverse is stating that 6 million voters were excluded from voting, and everyone is being urged to "pass the word".

Chris

I wish I could read French. :blush:

The triangle in the center is interesting. It is topped by a liberty cap above a handshake and word I don't know. The dates of the previous revolutions or uprising are noted on each leg, and there seems to be a bell clapper (?) hanging in the middle.

The year 1848 was notable in European history when a number of democracy movements tried to assert their rights. Sadly most of them ended in failure, which caused the U.S. to receive a significant number of political refugees.

I wish I could read French. :blush:

The triangle in the center is interesting. It is topped by a liberty cap above a handshake and word I don't know. The dates of the previous revolutions or uprising are noted on each leg, and there seems to be a bell clapper (?) hanging in the middle.

The year 1848 was notable in European history when a number of democracy movements tried to assert their rights. Sadly most of them ended in failure, which caused the U.S. to receive a significant number of political refugees.

Yeah, some of it I will have to examine closely when I receive it. The French/English dictionary online couldn't identify all of the words, so maybe there are some spelling errors or maybe some words were spelled differently in those days.

The legend under the triangle, "LEVEE DE L'INTERDIT ELECTORAL" was (crudely) translated as "Lifting of electoral forbidden". Perhaps the date beneath it (February, 1848) refers to a law overturning the ban. I don't know.

On the reverse, "EXCLUS PAR LA LOIDU" was only partially translated "Excluded by the ?????" Does anyone know the translation of "LOIDU"?

The other word that wasn't defined was "ECLAIREZ"

Chris

Wasn't this the era of Louis Philippe, the "citizen king?" It’s been more than 40 years since I took a European history survey course in college. :preach: I was an accounting major. :insane:

Oh well I said it was 40 years ago. ???

The only thing I remember from 40 years ago was that I was still in the Army, and I was (unfortunately) still married.

Chris

I thought Bill Jones might appreciate this!

I won this yesterday from one of my French Connections. It was produced to object to the 1852 French election and called upon the people to oppose the Second Empire of Napoleon III. It also serves as a reminder that the people of France have already endured three previous revolutions - 1789, 1830 & 1848.

This seems like pretty risky business, given the period when it was produced.

Chris

m22.JPG

m22a.JPG

Just to bring everyone up to date on this medal............

Judging from the crude results, I would guess that the organizers protesting the election couldn't afford to have a competent medallist prepare the die. It looks as though letter punches were used to form each word, and doubling, repunching and letter-over-letter punching is all over the place. I've selected the three most interesting to show you.

Enjoy!

Chris

96020.jpg.d8464400d7774f00fc28b75d8eac0d58.jpg

96021.jpg.e577d049bb8156499f06a7bc725d7e1e.jpg

96022.jpg.58b8b8e2659733317652d796abf0c637.jpg

96024.jpg.704295d20d1dae1f7409f0311bb9aeb8.jpg

I beleive that the word LOIDU is actually LOI DU and therefore

EXCLUS PAR LA LOIDU(LOI DU) would become EXCLUDED BY THE LAW FROM

Just my opinion.

Jim

I beleive that the word LOIDU is actually LOI DU and therefore

EXCLUS PAR LA LOIDU(LOI DU) would become EXCLUDED BY THE LAW FROM

Just my opinion.

Jim

That makes sense! After seeing the medal in hand, I should have considered some variation given the crudeness it.

Thanks, Jim!

Chris

I believe the "bell clapper" hanging from the workman's triangle is in actuality a plumb bob, meaning keeping everything "on the level" straight so to speak.