• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I please get an attribution for this Conder token?

4 posts in this topic

I picked up this Conder token at the ANA show. I was wondering if anyone could attribute it for me. I really like this coin, it has about 75% red remaining.

Edge lettering reads "PAYABLE AT RICHARD MAPLESDENS WINCHELSEA .X.+"

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2811a.jpgIMG_2812a.jpg

Sussex 41, it is a Genuine Trade Token. This token and #40 were issued for Richard Maplesden. I do not know what kind of merchant he was. He also had a series of tokens issued for use at Brighton Camp in Sussex. Both tokens were struck by William Lutwyche of Brimingham Warwickshire. I do not know who engraved the dies for #'s 40 and 40, but the engraver for the Brighton Camp tokens was William Wyon so he probably envgraved this one as well. There is no record of what the mintage was for this token but it is considered to be common. #40 is also considered as common but I find it harder to locate than #41. The easiest way to tell the two apart is by the ornament at the bottom of the reverse. on #40 it is much smaller.

Who did you get it from?

Thanks for the help Conder.

I bought this from a dealer at the ANA show. I think This was the only Conder token he had. I will check the dealer list when I get home and let you know who it was.