• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Columbian proof like

2 posts in this topic

I have a heavy colorful toned columbian I picked up a while ago.It has what looks like very proof like fields,it is very distinguishable around the devices.you can see the full strike it has.its like a DMPL morgan around the stars that deep set look.It is in a soap slab your "NGC" old white holder.

My question(s)

1.What are the chances I could get a PL designation out of this coin.

2.is there a possibility of a star* for the PL & color?

3.would it be better to leave it the way it is,or possibly a conservation.due to the PL.

your help is appreciated.I love the 4 prong NGC holders.I just do very little submissions.I am very picky about sending coins in.thanks

SD4000,

The obvious answer here is that the coin must be seen in order to determine the PL and Star considerations. There is the possibility that the coin was not called PL initially due to the level of toning. If the toning is too thick or heavy, it could obscure the reflectivity of the surfaces, thus not allowing for the PL designation.

The Star designation will only be considered for exceptional eye appeal and will be more related to the toning of the coin. Again, if it is too thick and heavy, it probably won't warrant a Star. NGC would want the color to be attractive and colorful, not too thick, dark, or brown.

I hope this somewhat helps.

Rick Montgomery