• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942 Lincoln - white metal proof pattern?

20 posts in this topic

From USPatterns.com:

This is a 1942 cent struck on a white metal planchet. It is believed to be a metallurgical trial by the mint in its search for a replacement to copper which was needed for the World War II effort. Pollock believes it was struck prior to August 1942.

Only a 2 or 3 are known, none of which are proofs. The earliest known listing for one of these is ex Farouk, Bolender 10/54. The illustrated piece is 95% tin, 5% copper and is ex Stacks 9/96, Heritage 97 ANA, Superior 3/00 and is presently in a PCGS65 holder. A second piece is 93% tin, 7% antimony and was offered in Ira & Larry Goldberg's Coins & Collectibles 5/2003 sale.

It's not unique, but extremely rare.

Here is another one, which I have seen in hand, and is awesome looking.

Even just the pictures make that look amazing!!

Here is a nice long thread on one posted ATS

Link

perfect, thank you

To avoid any possible confusion, that thread pertains to the one I posted the link for, which was in the Heritage sale.

Here is a nice long thread on one posted ATS

Link

perfect, thank you

To avoid any possible confusion, that thread pertains to the one I posted the link for and which was in the Heritage sale.

The coin in heritage is the same coin that was posted in the OP. Don't know if you knew that or not.

For those who don't read the referenced PCGS thread or the Heritage link, the coin is approx 2x normal thickness and is made of aluminum.

I am in the middle of researching WW-II experimental pieces, but there is a lot to go through and make sense of. This was during the war and people were less careful about dotting all the “I’s”.

It's not unique, but extremely rare.

Here is another one, which I have seen in hand, and is awesome looking.

This link is for the J2079 made of Aluminum. The J2081 from the orginal poster is made of white metal. There was also another unconfirmed Lincoln pattern made in 1942 that was Zinc-coated Steel (J2080)

Other Lincoln cent patterns

1974 J2151 Aluminum

1974 J2152 Bronze-clad Steel

1975 j2155 Aluminum

For those who don't read the referenced PCGS thread or the Heritage link, the coin is approx 2x normal thickness and is made of aluminum.

AH! That was it! I knew I remembered something odd about these patterns, but couldn't quite remember what it was, and thanks Roger for reminding me... that these patterns are double the thickness of normal cents.

VERY cool coin, and one I would dearly enjoy photographing.

Other Lincoln cent patterns

1974 J2151 Aluminum

1974 J2152 Bronze-clad Steel

1975 j2155 Aluminum

i forgot that those would be considered patterns... there are also about 10 aluminum 1974 D's apparently