• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Know Why I Waited So Long to Join the NGC Forum!

83 posts in this topic

Hi All, My name is Charmy Harker (aka The Penny Lady). I see many familiar "faces" here on this board and have been meaning to sign up for quite some time, especially since a lot of the coins in my personal collection are NGC certified. Many of you may already know me, or might have seen me post on the CU forum or CoinTalk.com, and I have met several of you at coin shows.

But for those of you whose paths I have not yet crossed, I am a coin dealer and I specialize in Flying Eagle, Indian, Lincoln and Early American Copper cents. I am also an avid collector of Flying Eagle, Indian and Lincoln cents, and I especially LOVE toned copper, error and variety cents. I've also recently gotten interested in Conder Tokens and have begun collecting those as well. My personal collection coins are photographed by Todd Pollock at BluccPhotos.com and are all posted on my website in case any of you care to check them out here: Charmy's Personal Collection

I attend a lot of shows and, time permitting, I hope to be able to be an active contributor here. I also enjoy reading what others have to say, and in addition to learning quite a bit, it helps give me a gauge of what's going on in the coin world.

So as my first post here, I hope you won't mind me posting some of my favorite coins, but maybe it will give you an idea of where my interests lie. Some of you may have already seen some of these, but here are a few of my favorite NGC certified coins from my personal collection....

600_1879_NGC_MS67_BN.jpg

600_1881_NGC_MS65_BN_Magenta.jpg

600_1886_T-1_NGC_MS65_RB_Clamshell.jpg

600_1905_NGC_MS66_BN.jpg

600_1909-S_VDB_NGC_MS64_RB.jpg

600_1914-D_NGC_MS64_BN_Toned.jpg

600_1926-S_NGC_MS64_BN.jpg

600_1955-55_DDO_NGC_MS64_BN.jpg

600_Conder_Token_1796_Spence_s_Cat_and_Dog_NGC_MS63_BN.jpg600_Conder_Token_1794_Buckinghampshire_Slough_Red_Lion_NGC_MS66_BN.jpg

Charmy... I've looked through your site often ogling the coins! You have some very interesting coins and the errors are phenomenal! Welcome to the "good" side of the street! :hi:

Scott

Welcome, Charmy! You always have/post some of the nicest coins. And I happen to think ANY/ALL your coins are much nicer than a '95-W Proof ASE. None of your coins are "the third nicest coin I've ever seen". ;)

Took ya long enough to grace these boards with those great IHC and Lincoln cents. You have a great eye!! And nice plug for Todd!! J/K..seriously, he does a fantastic job of showing the true coin in his images, doesn't he?

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

Second of all.... AWESOME coins!! I'm really glad you decided to step across the street to chat.

I own perhaps a hundred hard-times and Civil War tokens, but very rarely share them. My personal preference is to collect them well circulated, since that to me represents the coins in the manner closest to their intended purpose.

Looking forward to learning a lot from you!

Good to see you over here! I'm sure you'll fit in just fine :) Especially with an opening salvo like that. Thanks for the giveaway, so very generous of you! I'll take the 1955 DDO, thank you ;)

Gorgeous toners.I have been mainly in Morgans,but Indian cents are a very close favorite too. It's difficult to find anything as nice as yours. I recently to get a really nice Purple/orange 1911 Lincoln cent in MS 64. Great colors on this.The old PCI slab is scratched up badly and there is a small dark spot on the reverse.

purppenny1.jpg

purppenny2.jpg

Hi Charmy! It was a pleasure meeting you at the ANA this weekend in Fort Worth. It's funny, you asked who I was and when I told you who I was and that I mainly hang out at the NGC boards you mentioned that you should join and that a lot of your collection resided in NGC holders!

Glad you made it over here, hope you enjoy the NGC family. Also, it was a pleasure doing business with you, you were the only person who I bought a coin from that I didn't ask for a better price! I thought your prices were very fair, even though I only bought a cheapie from you!

you were the only person who I bought a coin from that I didn't ask for a better price! I thought your prices were very fair, even though I only bought a cheapie from you!

This was my experience this weekend as well. In fact I made it a special point to search out her table. (thumbs u

I don't post ATS but I do lurk there occasionally. I always thought it would be cool to have Charmy over here because of her up beat personality and professionalism.

I don't know why I haven't joined yet either... oh, yeah I do... I didn't know that this place existed.

At a young age, Mom used to call me "Noodle Head" Welcome aboard.

Welcome, Charmy......and Mike.......to our version of paradise. Though I don't collect cents as a series, I always enjoy viewing wonderful specimens of all denominations, whatever they may be.

Best wishes,

Chris

PS. That 1999 Lincoln 9-Planchet error is amazing. If you know, please tell us how something like that could happen. Thanks!

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. Again, it's nice to hear from familiar friends, and I appreciate the welcome wishes from new friends!

And Coindude, it was very nice to meet you in Ft. Worth and it was indeed our conversation that made me realize I should quit procrastinating and sign up here!

And CPM, I really enjoy owning that 9 cent planchet as well, it's one of a kind. I know of only a couple other multi-planchet errors like this, and only one with more planchets. I often display it in my case at my shows and usually get a lot of comments and "oohs and awwwes." It is my understanding that this error was created when the ejection mechanism quit working and these 9 planchets that were fed into the press failed to eject and ended up being stuck on the die and repeatedly struck, causing the planchets to mushroom around the die. NGC graded it MS67, most likely because the very bottom/first planchet is extremely detailed (like a proof) because it was struck so many times. The question I get asked most is how did it ever get out of the mint. Most likely, it was smuggled out by an administrator or upper level mint worker who wasn't likely to be searched.

600_1999_NGC_MS67_9_Planchet_Obv_Die_Cap_Error_side_5_.jpg

600_1999_NGC_MS67_9_Planchet_Obv_Die_Cap_Error_side_3_.jpg

600_1999_NGC_MS67_9_Planchet_Obv_Die_Cap_Error_side_7_.jpg

Great to see you over here, Charmy. Great people here and all are willing to share their particular knowledge. As usual, fantastic coins. Welcome to all, it appears your post opened the door for several. Hope to meet you one day.

Jim