• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type Set Album

22 posts in this topic

I have been thinking of starting a type set and looked threw a few albums and seems like each one is missing a little something.

Does anyone know where to get information on what each album holds?

Which is better and which do you like and why.

Dansco

Whitman

Intercept

Littleton

I did a 7070 Dansco Type Album many years ago. It started with the 1800's half cent and went through the modern silver dollars. The album was well made and I had it for many years. I really don't know what the other album companies offer for type sets.

I just started a type set and got the Dansco. While it does have holes (none of the pre 1800's and the super-moderns, ends at SHQ's) it covers most things quite well. I contacted my dealer and he said he's going to look into finding a page for the new types that have come since the SHQ, namely the Westward journey 5c's the new Lincolns, national park 25c's, Native $1's, Prez $1's... etc. No luck yet though.

From a purely construction point of view, I prefer Dansco albums to Whitmans. I found that (for at least the one I had), the holes in the Whitman type set album didn't always quite fit the coins correctly. I like the Whitman royal blue color scheme better, but I like the Dansco construction much more so.

I'd suggest picking up a slip cover while you're out getting the album. I also use a can of 'air' to blow out the little bits of cardboard dust that inevitably finds its way into the slots. A box of nitrile gloves will keep your nasty little fingerses off the coins while you press them into the slots.

Don't know if you're new to albums in general, but it's best to put in the rear slide, press the coins well below the level of the top slide (up against the rear slide), and only remove the top slide when adding or removing coins - at least, that's what works for me to prevent slide marks.

I have a DANSCO 7070 album. It's not complete as far as types go, but it represents a reasonable compromise, and there is a separate gold page that can be added to it. But not that coins will tone after being put in the album, particularly if they are fresh moderns or recently dipped white. I would not put any red coppers inside either. Be especially careful with the insertion or removal of thicker coins (especially dollars)---slide marks will lower the values of coins. I routinely crack out slabbed coins for this album, and tape the inserts to the insides of the album cover.

Personally, I don't care for any because they don't have all the types I'm going for. I like differentiating between the 6 types of Lincoln Wheats, as an example (1909 VDB, 1909 non-VDB, 1918 VDB obv., 1943 steel, 1944 brass, 1947 bronze -- may have those last two switched, I'm doing this from memory).

I'm collecting loose and will figure out some display mechanism when it's done.

From a purely construction point of view, I prefer Dansco albums to Whitmans. I found that (for at least the one I had), the holes in the Whitman type set album didn't always quite fit the coins correctly. I like the Whitman royal blue color scheme better, but I like the Dansco construction much more so.

I couldn't agree more! It seems that over the last 10 years (or so) that the quality of Whitman's products have been declining while Dansco's have stayed the same. I am also partial to the look of the Whitman album... but maybe that's a bias because I grew up with Whitman folders.

Littleton albums are also well made and the more "neutral" colored pages are nice. But I am not a fan of their green colors. I know that's an aesthetic concern but if it is my collection I want something I like.

However, I am not a fan any album's notion of what is considered a type set. While Dansco's 7070 is popular, I think there are missing "types" to not only be representative but to have a really nice challenge. I am considering creating my own type set and buying blank pages to fill my own album.

Another option I found interesting are Gardmaster albums. Gardmaster concentrates mostly in the Canadian market, but has options for US coins. To deal with the variable size of early large cents, I use a Gardmaster album for that collection. It works out nicely!

Just my 2c .

Scott

Chris, when I did my research on the subject, I also wondered about all this. I ended up with the Intercept Shield album which you saw at the show. It contains the following:

3 half cents

4 large cents

FE 1859 CN Bronze indians

1909 VDB and a generic Wheat, 1943, Memorial rev and the 2010 rev

also on the Commem page, it has room for all 4 2009 reverses

2 cent, 3 cs, 3 cn

That's the first page

Page 2

4 half dimes, no hole for the no stars :( the capped bust resides there

Shield w/rays and one without, no cents and standard V, T1 buffalo, T2 buff, Jefferson, War nickel, and 2006 - date Jefferson

Page 3

Capped bust, lib seated w/stars, no room again for the no stars version :( , Lib seated w/arrows, lib seated w/ legend, barber and Merc

Roosy Silver, Roosy clad, 20 center, Capped bust Q small size

Lib Seated no motto, Lib seated arrows, lib seated Motto, barber, slq t1, slq t2, washington silver, wash clad and wash 2009 clad, which I put a silver one in

Page 4

Capped bust lettered edge, capped bust reeded edge, lib seated no motto

Lib seated arrows, lib seated Motto, barber

WLH, Franky, Kennedy silver, Kennedy clad

Page 5

Lib seated dollar no motto, lib seated motto, trade dollar

Morgan, Peace, Eisenhower

SBA, Sac

Page 6

Bicentennial Q, Half and Dollar

4 commem half holes

Westward Journey Nickels, all four

Statehood quarter, Commemorative Dollar, Silver Eagle, Presidential dollar

and the aforementioned 4 holes for the 2009 Lincolns

Page 7 (optional) Gold

Gold dollars, t1, t2 and t3, Lib head 2.5 and Indian 2.5

3 dollar gold, Lib 5 and Indian 5

Lib Head 10 and Indian head 10

Lib head 20 and St. Gaudens

If I were going to put together a raw type set, I consider Eagle holders. I don't know if they are made any more, but Eagle holders are what I use for my presidential and political token collection.

The negative to Eagle holder albums is that the PVC free pages crack too easily. Eagle also as a box that holds 36 of their holders, you can even put them in 2X2 flip holder boxes. The positives are you can put whatever coins you like in the collection. YOU decide what makes up the type set. You can also take out individual coins in their holders and stick them in the bank. The common cheap stuff that you don't mind having around the house can stay with you.

I don't generally collect by albums, but I am asembling a 7070 type set on the NGC Registry (which you can see linked in my sig line). I'm taking quite a different approach, however - and only collecting prooflike examples.

If I was going to start another type set, I'd strongly consider using DirectFit AirTites and one of their albums. They're available at JP's Corner and you can completely customize them to your definition of a type set, obviously. Some people like the AirTites with inserts; I prefer to minimize the materials contacting the coin, although be aware that the DirectFit kind can sometimes make it hard to remove a coin due to the snug (secure!) fit.

Direct link to the airtites album

wm-album-2.jpg

Although I like AirTites in general, I don't like their albums. The coins tend to fall out, and the albums feel flimsy.

I prefer Dansco or Library of Coins albums (if you can find the latter). My draped bust half won't fit in the Dansco, so I'll probably have to drill the hole out a bit. I have Library of Coins albums for some US and Canadian series, and I only wish they were easier to find in decent shape (they must have been discontinued decades ago).

Although I like AirTites in general, I don't like their albums. The coins tend to fall out, and the albums feel flimsy.

In surfing the net, I found that Lighthouse has a page to hold their capsules that would fit Air Tites. I have not found a US-based source for these, but I found a German supplier at http://www.hummel-buch.de/ENCAP-Sheets-GRANDE

Scott

Here are pictures of the album, they are older pics and some of the coin holes are filled and some have changed, but you get the idea.

95547.jpg.f2f656dc5e34be5ea92b9ec41c15974a.jpg

95548.jpg.2a0d46b8023b4c15d38710cdaa5877ef.jpg

95549.jpg.2a0bab748bb5f8a66a2b24167756d06c.jpg

95550.jpg.7dafb7b3356b6cb20029a349c606f180.jpg

95551.jpg.0082d84188f8fda2534f125443082ae3.jpg

Here is a view of my album that covers the 1860 and part of 1864 presidential election campaign items. As you can see the system is very flexible. The drawback is the pages do tend to break if you are not careful with them.

inside2.jpg

Inside1.jpg