• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This 1916 proof sold for more than I figured

15 posts in this topic

And it's in an ANACS holder, which probably held the price down.

Maybe I was stupid, but I paid over $1,000 for this 1913 Matte Proof cent which is an NGC PR-65 Brown. This coins bring more than the price catalogs indicate.

1913BlueCentO.jpg1913BlueCentR.jpg

And it's in an ANACS holder, which probably held the price down.

Maybe I was stupid, but I paid over $1,000 for this 1913 Matte Proof cent which is an NGC PR-65 Brown. This coins bring more than the price catalogs indicate.

1913BlueCentO.jpg1913BlueCentR.jpg

That looks like a nice solid 65 though. The higher-grade attractive looking pieces bring very high prices. Guides are never accurate on them.

Did you see where someone paid over $200,000 for a 1909-VDB in Matte Proof 68 *, CAC?

I once considered trying buy one of those, but it's off my list now. I'd rather have a nice piece of early gold that missing from my type set than that.

Did you see where someone paid over $200,000 for a 1909-VDB in Matte Proof 68 *, CAC?

I once considered trying buy one of those, but it's off my list now. I'd rather have a nice piece of early gold that missing from my type set than that.

It is now in a PCGS PR67 RB holder.

1-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

Too bad ...

Another example of top flight coin getting moved into the "treasured" PCGS holder. It's shame that so many collectors are obsessed with PCGS.

It is now in a PCGS PR67 RB holder.

1-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

WITH A GOLD CAC STICKER

Michael, That would seem to indicate that NGC got it right the first time. Do you think the gold CAC will increase its value to more than the original 68*? This is almost like watching the clowns in Washington manipulating, and back room manuevering. Yikes

So was this crossover a prudent move by the new owner or just a waste of his/her money?

I know these are tough, but this one sold for more than I had it figured for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250593854883&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Judging from rather inadequate image, I think it's a great coin. It might have actually undersold.

Michael, That would seem to indicate that NGC got it right the first time. Do you think the gold CAC will increase its value to more than the original 68*? This is almost like watching the clowns in Washington manipulating, and back room manuevering. Yikes

yes ABSOLUTELY!! ngc got it correct the first time and john albanese agreed with the ngc grade and designation with his gold sticker and willingness no doubt to pay strong 68 money for this now slabbed 67 coin

but pcgs needs to save face so a crossover at 67 rb from an ngc 68 star rb makes sence to me and of course very pragmatic

So was this crossover a prudent move by the new owner or just a waste of his/her money?

was it a prudent move by the new owner?? only time will tell

but the owner and his advisor brian wagner think so!! and knowing brian as one of my personal friends he is as sharp as they come when it comes to small cents

but personally myself, i think the current pcgs 67 rb gold cac VS ngc 68 rb star is six of one half dozen of another in other words they are both equal

personally i would have left it in the ngc holder but since i dont play the registry game and the new owner does?? lets assume so then this was a smart move

as he needs the coin in a pcgs holder to add it to his pcgs registry set

and again with someone who wants to play the pcgs registry and cant with the coin in an ngc holder the coin NEEDS to be crossed at waht pcgs decides

Could you imagine closing on the new house you just bought, and giving them one cent for full payment.

Chris

I tend to agree that the PCGS price guide on these is unrealistic...so what the heck is the point of the price guide if it is not realistic?????