• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade 1879-s Morgan

18 posts in this topic

Happy Sunday everyone.

Guess the grade on this 1879-s Morgan. There is a band of light gold toning on the obverse which goes through Miss Liberty's cap and that cloudy dot between the 'S' in Pluribus and 'U' in Unum is on the slab (sorry)

Oh yeah, and the luster is there too.

Let's hear what you think 1879sNGCimg335.jpg

I took another set of pics that show the luster a little better .Still not the best photos(sorry) **edited to add, I need some more "slab-renew" as this slab is really beat up!! 1879SCOMBO.jpg

No less then MS 66 , I think it is a MS 67.

Look how smooth her face and neck are.

If anything would bump this down a grade it would be the chatter in the right reverse field and what appears to be a mark on the lower Obverse between star 10 and 11 .

Nice coin .

Very PQ 66 - I do believe this is one case where the reverse does come into play and the marks on the breast feathers & chatter in rev field mentioned above are the killer... Obv is super strong though and easily warrants a 67 if graded on its own...

If anything would bump this down a grade it would be the chatter in the right reverse field and what appears to be a mark on the lower Obverse between star 10 and 11 .

Nice coin .

Mark,

I'm a nitpicker. The stars are numbered 1-6 Right from the date and 1-7 Left from the date.

Chris

Nice coin .

Mark,

I'm a nitpicker. The stars are numbered 1-6 Right from the date and 1-7 Left from the date.

Chris

Chris I am a dumb A-s – I just count them starting from the left ,I think every coin is a Bust Half :grin:

Well , Mark, the mark on the obverse (that's alot of marks, Mark) between stars 3 & 4 is on the slab. The cheek, neck & fields on the obverse are remarkably clean. And SWNGC, I agree that the reverse has more distractions going on then the obverse. Since normally the obverse is the deal breaker, I think NGC might have not really taken the chatter on the reverse into consideration when grading this Morgan.They may have been a little generous with the MS67 grade, but I'm not complaining. It's very nice looking in hand , though my photos may not have been all that flattering.

Well , Mark, the mark on the obverse (that's alot of marks, Mark) between stars 3 & 4 is on the slab. The cheek, neck & fields on the obverse are remarkably clean. And SWNGC, I agree that the reverse has more distractions going on then the obverse. Since normally the obverse is the deal breaker, I think NGC might have not really taken the chatter on the reverse into consideration when grading this Morgan.They may have been a little generous with the MS67 grade, but I'm not complaining. It's very nice looking in hand , though my photos may not have been all that flattering.

So the coin is MS 67 , I am not surprised at all considering how clean the cheek and neck are. I had a feeling that mark between Star 10 and 11 – Opp’s I meant 3 and 4 might have been on the slab. :/

Your photo was excellent – you always take good photos, don’t be so critical of yourself !!

I would guess "MS-65 star" due what appears to be a prooflike obverse. MS-66 is easily possible, but there are two knocks, 1) uber-common date, and 2) too many ticks on the eagle's breast.

I would guess "MS-65 star" due what appears to be a prooflike obverse. MS-66 is easily possible, but there are two knocks, 1) uber-common date, and 2) too many ticks on the eagle's breast.

I was going to ditto James surmise as the "S" coins usually have killer breast feathers and there are chatter marks in there as well.

I would have said a MS66 on this coin anyway because of the Xtreme lack of field debris and chatter.

I think 67 is pushing it in my book.

That being said :) Nice Coin My friend (thumbs u