• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest submission results.

6 posts in this topic

Just received my latest NGC submission. Very pleased overall. 1842 Type I is the highlight of the whole batch :)

Now to add these to my signature set!

Country.....Date.....Mint Mark.....Denomination / Variety.................................GRADE

Mexico.......1857....Ca JC.............8R................................................................ XF40

Mexico.......1863....Mo TH............8R.................................................................MS63

Mexico.......1825....Zs AZ.............8R.................................................................XF45

Mexico.......1842....Zs OM............8R Type I - Medal Alignment.........................AU53

Mexico.......1827....Go MJ.............8R.................................................................XF40

Peru..........1815....L JP................8R.................................................................AU50

1857-chiha-8r-obv.jpg1857-chiha-8r-rev.jpg

1863-mex-8r-obv.jpg1863-mex-8r-rev.jpg

1825-mex-8r-obv.jpg1825-mex-8r-rev.jpg

1842_obv_small.jpg1842_rev_small.jpg

1827-go-8r-obv.jpg1827-go-8r-rev.jpg

1815_lima_obv_small.jpg1815_lima_rev_small.jpg

Excellent coins, congratulations on the outcome. I love that 1863 8 Reale. Can you elaborat on the 1842 for us? Thank you for sharing.

Rey

Thank you, Rey.

In 1842 Zacatecas Mint did a die change early in the year. They went from die style of 1825-1842 to the one that continued until 1845. I've always liked the early eagle (even though finding one fully struck is practically impossible). The new die was also done in lower relief and even when fully struck, the eagle still appears "hollow". When they switched the die styles they also changed the rotation - from medal to coin.

This early die style is also usually found in VF grade.

Here's the other die style to illustrate the difference (not my coin):

Zs42OM.jpg

Zs42OMr.jpg

Great pictures - imagine that UNTIL 1857 all those coins made prior were LEGAL TENDER in the United States of America.

Sutter even had a discount CHART in his fort about what the exchange rate was on many different coins - especially yours!

Thanks for posting - I wrote a few early true historical novels on Early California and really enjoy seeing the coins from the 1850s era.

Best wishes,

HS