• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Gaudens double eagle...

22 posts in this topic

Thanks for the opinions gentlemen.

Munkey, as a novice in the hobby, I would agree with your comment. But I would say that for any coin containing precious metal. Walkers being the first IMHO.

Regards

What am I missing here? The coin looks like an MS-63 or low end 64 to me. ???

At any rate a St. Gaudens double eagle like this with luster and not that many marks is always worth more than melt. Common dates that are worn down to EF or so might only be worth melt when the price of bullion is high and seems to be too high to significant number of collectors. I've seen short, rare periods were such coins were selling for slightly less than melt.

Here are a couple of graded St. Gaudens $20 gold pieces from my collection that you use as comparison pieces.

PCGS graded this one MS-65. It has a lot of luster, but there is mark hidden in the eagle's wing that some people might not like for the grade. I've found that many 1907 "low relief" Saints have poor luster and less than sharp strikes. The 1908 coin that I will show below often as the same problems.

1907SaintO.jpg1907SaintR.jpg

NGC only graded this one MS-63. I think that it is under graded by a point. The bust line is not always fully struck up on these coins, which can result in a dull spot that you might think is wear.

192220GoldO.jpg192220GoldR.jpg

NGC graded this one MS-64. The 1908 No Motto $20 gold comes a bit dull, it is not as sharp as some of the subsequent issues. BTW this was the first $20 that I owned as a collector I bought it when I was in high school in 1965.

190820O.jpg190820R.jpg

There's a patch of scratches in front of the eagle's head, near the rim, that make me think at least 1.5 point downgrade.

There's a patch of scratches in front of the eagle's head, near the rim, that make me think at least 1.5 point downgrade.

Yea, I saw those, but the coin could still be an MS-63 with them. In addition the a lot of these $20 gold coins, especially those that ended up in "investment portfolios" can be graded as soft as a wet sneeker full.

Many guys were concerned about the dullness on the bustline, but you can see that on MS-64+ 65 coins because of strike.

wow, wow , wow remind me never to take a day off the coin boards. replays were slow but the catch up sucks! yes the marks at the reverse eagle head had my concerns. but the ding at the forth "ray" on the obverse scared me. i can't grade a coin. won't pretend to. had this one a AU details best thanks for the replies.

winner gets a table dance you professionals decide :slapfight:

What bothers me on the OP's coin is the damage around the leg and knee where the knee is suppose to show and serious gouges scratches along the the center highlights of the coin including the other leg. That being said the peripheral edge detail is quite good so I think this would be a tough one to grade.

The reverse has some kind of contamination also

Not being a "LEG" man :o) - I would give it a MS60.

I also think that the grades of Bill's coins were very generous :)

A well struck St. Gaudens. Comparing the strike to St. Gaudens in my collection solid MS64. Unfortunately there are numerous hits in Prime focal areas-left knee and areas above the rays. Reverse eagles wing.

Also hits in secondary areas--the rays and on the reverse the area of the eagles head and surrounding field. As James pointed out, those hits will cost at least a point.

I'm assuming that the red discoloration in front of the eagle is a photographic artifact.

Overall IMHO MS62.

At any rate a St. Gaudens double eagle like this with luster and not that many marks is always worth more than melt. Common dates that are worn down to EF or so might only be worth melt when the price of bullion is high and seems to be too high to significant number of collectors. I've seen short, rare periods were such coins were selling for slightly less than melt.

You are not missing anything... I put my money on MS 63

At first glance it looks like an MS-62 or maybe an MS-63 (remember, on common dates from the 1920s it takes a heck of a coin to bump into the MS-64 or higher range), but this coin looks to me like it's been cleaned or at least wiped at some point. Would it grade? Maybe. Is it worth more than bullion? Even with the potential problems, definitely.

You are not missing anything... I put my money on MS 63

I agree. (thumbs u

I also think that the grades of Bill's coins were very generous

If you think that MS-63, 64 and 65 graded $20 gold pieces are supposed to show no marks, I guess the grades are generous. But if you live in the real world, common date, near perfect $20 gold coins have sold for a few thousand dollars even when the price of bullion was a lot lower. These coins are heavier and much softer than a Morgan silver dollar. They were taken from place to place in bags, and while people were more careful with them because a light weight piece could be worth less than face value in "the good old days," these coins were not babied either.

Did anyone see the recent episode of Pawn Stars where a woman brought in a 1924 Saint that she found in the wall safe of the home she bought? The owner of Sahara Coins was asked to confirm its authenticity and he graded it MS64. Rick, the co-owner of the pawn shop gave her $1300 for it.

Chris