• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone got a nice score...

20 posts in this topic

I think this coin is VF or so.. Looks like a great price for it. I also assume it is real.

Ebay

Edited to add this should be O-101 If I read the coin right. 21 total berries, and the curl at the first star.

It looks genuine to me, though the surfaces look altered. I wonder if it's been repaired? Still for that price and with that much detail going for it, you're right, that was a score!

That coin is sure a different type and value of material than that seller has typically sold. I wonder if he really had it, to deliver?

That coin is sure a different type and value of material than that seller has typically sold. I wonder if he really had it, to deliver?

At the time of the listing he had 2 other nice early half cents. I assume he ran into an old collection and is parting with some of it. Though that is a big trigger to pull on a coin like that.

It looks genuine to me, though the surfaces look altered. I wonder if it's been repaired? Still for that price and with that much detail going for it, you're right, that was a score!

I am sure the coin is not perfect but the surfaces look OK to me. Yeah sure there are some scratches but on a coin of that age who cares? As for being repaired, without seeing in hand there is no full proof way to tell. I would guess no if I was a betting man.

linesII.jpg

lines-1.png

The first image is the e-bay coin, the second image is a CoinFacts image. I realize this is not very scientific, but something just seems off kilter with the e-bay coin, just saying.

Woody, these early coins were hand punched. There were 11 varieties for that year, and each one will have a different alignment of the numbers, letters, and stars. You will have to compare one of an identical die to get an accurate diagnostic.

And, your lines appear to be angle differently in the two images.

No returns – To much risk . How often do you see one of these raw up for sale ??

Not as often as you used to. We must remember not every high dollar coin is in a holder.

I am quite sure that the coin is genuine, but the big thing about this piece that gives it value is that fact it is a 179 4. When the last digit is weak, that is a problem. The guys who can afford to spend $6.450 for a coin would prefer to have a piece with that all important digit strong. There are fewer guys who are willing to buy “a problem.”

I guess it’s a “score” if you want to own a comparatively high grade 1794 half dollar, but if you are looking for the piece that might give you a big payday in the future, this is not the one.

And, yea, I'm a collector, but when you spend $6.5 grand for something, you have to think about the exit as well as the entry. ;)

Woody, these early coins were hand punched. There were 11 varieties for that year, and each one will have a different alignment of the numbers, letters, and stars. You will have to compare one of an identical die to get an accurate diagnostic.

And, your lines appear to be angle differently in the two images.

The lines match on both coins coming off the L to the star, but coming off the 1 in the date does not line up on the same Motto letters, one off the T and the other one off the R.

I did not realize there were 11 different varieties, knew the dates were hand punched, I’m just astounded a buyer with 1 other transaction is going to send 6 ½ grand for something sight unseen and not authenticated as being genuine.

This boggles my mind.

Woody I took a Heritage Auction Image of the same die marriage between the 2 coins. The lines were really close to lining up. Seeing as these were hand stamped numbers they lined up near perfectly. If I would have had the cash ready I would have been the buyer on this coin.

No returns – To much risk . How often do you see one of these raw up for sale ??
No such thing as no returns if you pay by PayPal. Just file a SNAD (significantly not as described).

I don't get the illustrations with the axes (is that the plural of axis?). Pick the same rim spots and see if the intersections are the same. Looks pretty close to me (putting aside the other explanations).

Lance.

No such thing as no returns if you pay by PayPal. Just file a SNAD (significantly not as described).

I don't get the illustrations with the axes (is that the plural of axis?). Pick the same rim spots and see if the intersections are the same. Looks pretty close to me (putting aside the other explanations).

Lance.

The axes were trying to show that the coin did not line up. From the 1 to the T on the coin from Ebay and from the 1 to the R, but that did not hold water with the different die marriage

Do you mean, in general? or on eBay?

Actually, I'd guess that at any given moment, more of these are RAW and for sale than not. There are so many with problems that can't be certified, and putting them in holders that disclose problems is too much of a negative connotation for many sellers.

The risk isn't in the coin be "raw", it's in there being a NO RETURN policy.

BIG difference :) !

Exactly my thoughts.

Mine also. That is a fairly scarce coin and a desirable issue but a lot of risk to buy raw from what I would describe as presumably an obscure seller.