• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please let me have your opinions on this 1822/1 Bust half

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, a couple of days ago I picked up this 1822/1 O-101 CBH from a local B&M.

Please let me know your thoughts. The color is slightly off but it is close.

The pics may be dark but I can't really tell on this computer for sure. Also as always I had trouble pulling pulling out details. This half is actually pretty decently struck. If anyone could give me a few pointers to show the details better in the coin please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

*edit* As I study these photos I feel I should note... The fields are not grainy like the pics show, It seems that camera picked up the flow lines rather oddly.

IMG_2760b.jpg

IMG_2761b.jpg

Looks like it has some green (PVC?) residue on it. The luster looks decent perhaps worthy of an AU 58? I am guessing the color is mostly orange-gold, but it appears to have some areas where luster/toning are not present...

That color worries me a lot. Looks heavily polished, just cause of the unnatural hue. If that's natural it looks quite high grade, around 63 or so, but I could also see AU details. The color just makes it really hard to see clearly IMO.

From these images, it looks like a severely altered coin. Perhaps it has been whizzed? I do not like it at all unless the price reflected a heavy discount from the AU level.

The discoloration above the Eagles right wing concerns me , however I am not convinced it is PVC but it sure looks suspicious. The gold color of the coin most likely is the result of a heavy dip without a proper rinse. Based on the photo I can not tell if the coin has been polished or whizzed however who knows what is under that tone. I would first rule out polished , I am on the fence about the Wizz as it is very difficult to determine that from a photo.

Details wise it is Au 58 or better.

In conclusion I would say that something may have been done to alter the surface and then the coin was dipped and re toned.

Looks like it has some green (PVC?) residue on it. The luster looks decent perhaps worthy of an AU 58? I am guessing the color is mostly orange-gold, but it appears to have some areas where luster/toning are not present...

This is my personal view this coin as well. The areas that look green in the picture are actually blue in hand. I don't think it is PVC but it will get an acetone dip for sure just to be safe.

The coin is definately not polished also I looked at it very carefully under a glass and I don't see any indications of whizzing either. The toning is not so deep that I cannot see the surfaces underneath and they look very nice. Though it has been dipped in the past.

The orange gold toning is odd for sure but it is not ugly and mottled like most dip residue that I am used to seeing.