• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coinees a little help for a Comic collector please.

4 posts in this topic

My father gave this to me several years ago. I would like to know if I should submit this? I'm not interested in selling the coin, but as you can see it is not in a protective holder. Thoughts would be appreciated. The coin says 1882- 3 dollars on one side, and has a head figure with United States of America around it on the other. 387901-Image106.jpg

387901-Image106.jpg.a35acd33e6de1ac711c05af4a6e97aaa.jpg

Looks like you have a $3 gold piece. These are fairly uncommon and yours could be worth upwards of $1000+ depending on grade.

Yes, for a coin like that I would definately send to NGC, first to confirm authenticity and second for preservation.

Well, we should also point out that many of these have been counterfeited. Hopefully that is not what you have! Post a larger pic and we could probably identify "obvious" counterfeits here. Other than that it is definitely worth getting certified.

The $3 gold piece is one of the few US coins that I feel uncomfortable buying raw. There were just so many counterfeits made of this denomination, and of such various quality, that it is wise to get it certified. Some of the counterfeits are made out of gold, others are not. Good luck!