• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Details Grading...

2 posts in this topic

I had a 1907 high relief $20 graded by NGC at Baltimore returned "Unc Details: Improperly Cleaned". I understand that probably every other "Details" impairment (which is obvious to an UN-aided eye) makes numerical grading perhaps inappropriate if not impossible. I honestly didn't know this coin was cleaned, and wonder how obvious it was in this case without strong magnification. Is there such a thing as cleaned "appropriately"? Is it reasonable to not grade coins numerically just because they were cleaned, even if the result is not noticable to the unaided eye? It seems an overly harsh judgement. Why not grade them MS-60 Details "cleaned" or MS 65 Details "cleaned"?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There is no way to reliably assign a "net" numeric grade to a coin that has been improperly cleaned, so a Details Grade alone is used. "Proper" cleaning describes approved conservation methods, such as those employed by NCS, that don't alter the coin's underlying surface.