• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Type Coins)

19 posts in this topic

I can answer definately on the cent..none were ever struck at Dahlonega, Charlotte, Carson City, or New Orleans.

A total of 8 US mints...the "C" and "D" (Dahlonega) mints were gold only. Others were "CC", "D" (Denver), "O", "P" (or plain), "S", and "W".

Cents have been reported to have been struck at Denver and San Francisco without mint marks (1965-1967) and at West Point without mint marks (1973-1974).

Since Charlotte and Dahlonega ONLY struck gold, the answer has to be a gold coin...I'm with EVP on this one, even though I don't know much of anything about gold...I'm sure he knows his stuff.

They struck dollars at Dahlonega and Charlotte? Not sarcasm, just a question - I don't have a clue one way or the other.

Couple of gold dollars were struck at these branch mints, but they are considered as a separate denomination from the silver dollars.

I don't think he meant struck in every year, he meant struck at every mint that has operated during that time frame.

Correct, because there are no denomiations that have not had some kind of year gap in the mintages.