• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking coins???

6 posts in this topic

Over the past few years I’ve developed an interest in the Vikings and the history surrounding that time period. I’m currently reading The Vikings: A History by Robert Ferguson. I’ve only read the first few chapters but it’s a great book so far.

My question is, are there Viking coins? Did the Vikings ever mint coins or did they just pillage coins from others? If there are Viking coins, is there a reference book? Any reputable dealers whom I could contact? Any other information is also more than welcome.

Thanks so much, Winston

Quick Google search turned up quite a bit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/money_01.shtml

http://www.viking.no/e/heritage/en-money.htm

And so on. I used keywords "viking coin" if you want to do the search yourself.

I really don't know anything about the Vikings, but it sounds like a cool project!

winstonware

Here is dealer that specifically sells Viking coins.

Wolfshead Gallery

But I post that link with some caveats.

First, I have found the prices on his ancient Greek coins to be very high. I don't know if that extends to his Viking coins or not since I don't collect those. But they may be high too.

Second, at shows I have found the seller to be arrogant.

So for those reasons I avoid his web site and show tables. But I thought you would want to at least look at his Viking coins for the sake of learning and interest.

winstonware

Here is dealer that specifically sells Viking coins.

Wolfshead Gallery

But I post that link with some caveats.

First, I have found the prices on his ancient Greek coins to be very high. I don't know if that extends to his Viking coins or not since I don't collect those. But they may be high too.

Second, at shows I have found the seller to be arrogant.

So for those reasons I avoid his web site and show tables. But I thought you would want to at least look at his Viking coins for the sake of learning and interest.

Oh cool thanks. Aren't most coin dealers arrogant (shrug)lol