• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can a "broadstrike" occur on modern coining equipment?

11 posts in this topic

The Mints are utilizing horizontal stroke coining presses for our circulation coinage, my question is, how does a broadstrike occur on a press designed as such? (ie. no mechanical finger failure to extract the struck coin as used on the vertical strike Bliss coining presses) On the Schuler press, the blanks are gravity-fed vertically into the press so that they’re "standing up" when they receive their blow from the hammer die. On a normal up-and-down press the hammer die is usually the obverse die ("heads side") and the anvil die is usually the reverse ("tails" side), but on the Schuler horizontal press the hammer die is usually the reverse die.

What fails to create a broadstrike or a die cap, help me to understand.

In one of the posts, there is a link to the Schuler horizontal coin minting press in German. Use this link for the same information in English.

Scott

Thanks for the link in English, perhaps RWB thinks we can all spreken ze duetch.

I thought this point was interesting - High efficiency due to a reliable transport system from blank feeding to exit-side ejection of coins

`side ejection of coins...that means that something mechanical must remove the coin away from the striking chamber. hm