• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: What are BU Wheat Cents worth?

BU Wheat Cent Prices  

117 members have voted

1. 1. BU Wheat Cent Prices

27 posts in this topic

I don't have the slightest idea, but whenever someone inserts a poll, I think they should include an option like, "I haven't the slightest idea, but let me see the results, please!"

Chris (shrug)

The question I have is to define a "common date" when talking about Lincoln cents?

I am also assuming we are talking raw coins.

There is a difference between 1950s reds versus 1940s reds. There isn't a big difference for average red uncirculated (around MS64), but the 1940s may be a little more expensive than the 1950s. However, the 1930s commons (i.e., not the 1931-S) are a bit more expensive. In fact, I have seen costs ranging from $5 for a nice 1936 to $25 for a 1931. Prior to 1930, nothing is really common except for the 1919 and 1920 (post WWI) that could cost upward of $15-20 for a nice red unc.

In almost all cases, pre-World War II Denver and San Francisco minted Lincolns are more expensive. If you are looking to put together a red cent collection, you might find it a little easier to try a year set. For example, a red 1931-S is around $200 raw and $250 graded MS64.

A lot of this discussion is based on what you consider "common" and specifically what you are looking for.

BTW: I am working on a red Lincoln Cent collection. With the exception of 1943, the collection is complete from 1932. If I had the 1931-S I would be complete from 1929. My holy grail for this set will be for the 1922 No D cent. These are nearly impossible to find. It will be easier and cheaper to buy a 1909-S VDB and 1914-D as red cents than the 1922 No D!

Scott

I voted over $1 but I have no real idea since I do not collect these coins. I agree with you that it would depend upon the date.

But on the subject of the 1931-S, I consider this coin vastly overpriced despite the popularity of the series. It is not remotely scarce with over 2300 just in the NGC census and 770 of those RD mint state.

I voted over $1 but I have no real idea since I do not collect these coins. I agree with you that it would depend upon the date.

But on the subject of the 1931-S, I consider this coin vastly overpriced despite the popularity of the series. It is not remotely scarce with over 2300 just in the NGC census and 770 of those RD mint state.

Maybe not scarce as it was somewhat hoarded, but it has the second lowest mintage throughout the series, which by default makes it valuable (866,000 pieces)

BTW: I am working on a red Lincoln Cent collection. With the exception of 1943, the collection is complete from 1932. If I had the 1931-S I would be complete from 1929. My holy grail for this set will be for the 1922 No D cent. These are nearly impossible to find. It will be easier and cheaper to buy a 1909-S VDB and 1914-D as red cents than the 1922 No D!

Why do you feel the need to pursue an error coin for a set? Why not the 43 copper and 44 steel then?

[note - not that I'm one to talk as I have the s/cc in my trade dollar set ... but that had more to do with the finest being offered to me rather than seeking it out]

You are a collector of this series and I am not, so presumably you have insights that I do not..

I am aware of the supposedly low mintage and for this series, it is low. I also know that it is considered at least somewhat of a "key" date.

I understand that there are either hundreds of thousands or maybe even a few million collectors of this series, though I would not expect that most of these are collectors who spend any "real" money on their collections.

Based upon what I know of coins generally, I would guess that there are enough collectors of this series and this coin to explain why this date-mintmark is more expensive than others generically, even though some other issues that are cheaper might actually be scarcer in comporable grades or in RD.

You are a collector of this series and I am not, so presumably you have insights that I do not..

I am aware of the supposedly low mintage and for this series, it is low. I also know that it is considered at least somewhat of a "key" date.

I understand that there are either hundreds of thousands or maybe even a few million collectors of this series, though I would not expect that most of these are collectors who spend any "real" money on their collections.

Based upon what I know of coins generally, I would guess that there are enough collectors of this series and this coin to explain why this date-mintmark is more expensive than others generically, even though some other issues that are cheaper might actually be scarcer in comporable grades or in RD.

True indeed, and their prices reflect it. Any MS-64 RD teens or twenties with a mintmark will command equal or greater prices than the 31-S

I voted 20c each. Heck, they still turn up in circulation from time to time, so how rare or valuable can they be?

You find full red Unc wheat cents. in circulation? :o I've spotted some pieces with 20 to 30 percent red once in a great while, but full red sounds far fetched.

Are you sure that you have not been fooling around with that time machine again? ;)

depends what copper is going for and maybe the mintage as well

I'd wager that the price for BU Wheat Cents has very little to do with the value of the copper they contain.

Why do you feel the need to pursue an error coin for a set? Why not the 43 copper and 44 steel then?

[note - not that I'm one to talk as I have the s/cc in my trade dollar set ... but that had more to do with the finest being offered to me rather than seeking it out]

The 1922 No D (a.k.a. "Plain") is not an error; it is a die state. And the coin is wicked difficult to find in Mint State, let alone RED Mint State.

But I don't think that it is a "requirement" for a complete set of Lincoln cents. It's just an odd ball piece that came as result of a mint system that was pushed to the limits by an ill-advised congressional policy that called for the coinage of useless silver dollars.

I voted 20c each. Heck, they still turn up in circulation from time to time, so how rare or valuable can they be?

You find full red Unc wheat cents. in circulation? :o I've spotted some pieces with 20 to 30 percent red once in a great while, but full red sounds far fetched.

Are you sure that you have not been fooling around with that time machine again? ;)

I have found some that were very near-red, but reading that column in CoinWorld ("found in change", or whatever it is called) leads me to believe they are still out there in full red BU condition.

I've had a lot of trouble trying to unload OBW rolls of red wheat cents for even $5 per roll, or 10 cents a coin. I think greysheet is about $8 per roll, but good luck getting half of that. This is why I'd guess the most common red wheats are worth nowhere near 20c each.

I have found some that were very near-red, but reading that column in CoinWorld ("found in change", or whatever it is called) leads me to believe they are still out there in full red BU condition.

I've had a lot of trouble trying to unload OBW rolls of red wheat cents for even $5 per roll, or 10 cents a coin. I think greysheet is about $8 per roll, but good luck getting half of that. This is why I'd guess the most common red wheats are worth nowhere near 20c each.

Man, if you got OBW of wheats I'll take em! I am often paying $2 a roll for circulated wheats, and tend to sell them off for what nets to about $3/roll when I accumulate a large group.

The 1922 No D (a.k.a. "Plain") is not an error; it is a die state. And the coin is wicked difficult to find in Mint State, let alone RED Mint State.

But I don't think that it is a "requirement" for a complete set of Lincoln cents. It's just an odd ball piece that came as result of a mint system that was pushed to the limits by an ill-advised congressional policy that called for the coinage of useless silver dollars.

Here's a 64 RB coming up at Heritage. Looks like past sales are around $50k: http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1138&LotIdNo=76009

That sounds like small potatoes compared to this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-BU-GEM-BU-RED-Lincoln-Cent-50-Coin-ROLL_W0QQitemZ400104892128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item5d281c26e0

Chris

These aren't wheat cents, but it took me about 4-1/2 years to go through one bag of 1980, and I'm not about to start these any time soon.

Chris

94267.jpg.41736197d42873b3825e6e844e50a63f.jpg

True indeed, and their prices reflect it. Any MS-64 RD teens or twenties with a mintmark will command equal or greater prices than the 31-S

True. The '31-S is only tough/pricey in the lower grades.

You won't find a RD or RB '22 no-D strong reverse Lincoln for under five digits. And it will be one incredible coin, ugly as can be.

Lance.

But Chris, you might have an MS-70 RED * PQ CAC in that bag! You better open those puppies up!!!!

Heck, I'd be happy finding a few clipped planchets or off-center strikes, but there is still no way I'm going to open them. If I should get snowed in for a couple of weeks, maybe I'll think about it.

Chris

I have had good success with this seller! I don't know if his price is fair, but it might be worth a shot for the speculator.

I have had good success with this seller! I don't know if his price is fair, but it might be worth a shot for the speculator.

I don't know whether it is or not either, James, but think of all the BU rolls I could buy from you with that money. :whee:

Chris