• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interesting notes of the first small cents these short monographs only on NGC!

7 posts in this topic

the act of 2/21/1857 stopped the striking of the large cent

and fixed the weight of the small cent at 72 grains to be made of 88 parts copper and 12 parts nickel

they may be exchanged for gold or silver coins and the old copper large cents and the old fractional spainish and mexican silver which was strongly in circulation

as the act of 2/21/1857 put an end to the circulation of the spainish and mexican fractions of the dollar known as a quarter--- 2 reals eight----one real and sixteen ----one half real

of the pillar dollar

they were to be received at the treasury /post offices /land offices/etc etc at 20 10 and 5 cents respectively

all the former acts which gave legit status to foreign silver and gold coins and made them legal tender were repealed

the mint kept exacting records of this exchange for several years in 1857 and 1858 to until 1862 and for the record 29,602,600 large cents were turned in for the new small cents!

and by the end of 1860 spainish fractional silver to the amount of $814,370 was turned in for the new small cents

michael

A lot of old copper melted in those years! I wonder what was lost to collectors of modern day i the zeal of 1857 to rid the country of those nasty large and heavy coppers?!

Hoot

I was thinking the same thing about the volume of old copper brought to the Mint. Of course, they made a profit on the switch at the time, but, what was melted? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Cool post, Michael! smile.gif

thanks guys

it is always a pleasure to see you both on here

and you both always have great information and something good and constructive to add

michael

Michael.

I ought to post my research paper on FE cents on here for you to read sometime. (I don't think I ever posted it here) Let me know if you want it and I'll find it.

I had to do a research paper this past summer to finally finish up my college that I started 15 years ago!

goose i would love to read it!!

get it out and post it on here for everyone!!

sounds really interesting with many factoids that might improve our understanding of flyers!

michael