• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die Crack on Morgan?Don't think so

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen a die crack like this? I sure haven't.It starts/finishes in the hairline and circles over the cap to the back of the head. Looks like a very bad/stupid staple scratch or what I don't know. Would have been a pretty highly graded 80S DMPL without it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-1880-S-PL-DMPL-MORGAN-DOLLAR-GEM-BU_W0QQitemZ220561204792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item335a78e638

That coin feels wrong to me. Surfaces look wayyyy to clean, but then again it might be a fabulous UNC. That's a scratch by the looks of it, it looks like it goes in to Liberty's head, and seemingly around the lettering. Could be a hair or something in the die, could even be a crack, but that seems like 1 in a trillion chance.

Hey guys,

I'm not a buyer on this one. The seller claims it's a die crack. there's a small possibilty it's a strike through.Like James said,that would be a WOW strikethrough. Oh well,just not feeling it on this one.

OK, what have we got here. A raw 1880-S Morgan. Grey sheet DPML 63 $90.00 DPML64 $280.00 and a whole lot less MS or PL and this coin has a scratch, not a die crack, not a strike through---a scratch. Somebody paid $235.00 for this coin, God bless them and I hope they wise up quickly.

Check out this sellers other listings and photographs. Newbie scam central.

Just curious how Morgan dollar collectors modify value of a coin.

Obviously a scratch (which this looks like) would reduce the value of the coin to barely above melt. What would a crack (not possible - too smooth) or a strike through do to value, assuming it was MS-63 DMPL?

Just curious how Morgan dollar collectors modify value of a coin.

Obviously a scratch (which this looks like) would reduce the value of the coin to barely above melt. What would a crack (not possible - too smooth) or a strike through do to value, assuming it was MS-63 DMPL?

Roger,

I'm sure you are aware that Morgans are notorious for having die cracks, and as such, neither adds nor detracts from the value of a coin unless there is substantial metal displacement. At that point it is then called a die break.

A strikethrough is generally considered a "one shot deal" that is not usually repeated on the next planchet(s). A strikethrough may be important for determining the die state (EDS, MDS or LDS), but it is not considered noteworthy where value is concerned to anyone other than an error collector.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks! I've got so much archival dust in my feeble brain that sometimes I lose track of the practical stuff!

The ideas behind this kind of info will eventually roll into the next edition of the Peace dollar book, and possibly another project under consideration.

Chris,

Thanks! I've got so much archival dust in my feeble brain that sometimes I lose track of the practical stuff!

The ideas behind this kind of info will eventually roll into the next edition of the Peace dollar book, and possibly another project under consideration.

I tried to use one of those non-static dusters once to clean out my brain, but all I got was a bunch of ear wax.

Please keep us posted on your work-in-progress.

Chris