• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pls grade this morgan

17 posts in this topic

Sounds like you need several more lights - at least one more, but two more would be even better. Also, GE Reveal bulbs work very well. If you'd like to spend a little money on lighting, OTT lights are very good also.

The coin looks MS, I'll go MS63 because of the gash on her cheek.

Nice die cracks on the obverse!

Yes, they are, but don't get him started on the VAM assignment. The 21 Philly list is so long, that his grandchildren will have grandchildren before he finishes going through it.

Chris

I'm gonna agree with jgrinz on this Morgan also. The coin has nice details which is about MS63 but it looks to have had a dip and not rinsed throughly. It just looks to have some odd spotting. Could be my eyes. Love the die cracks tho'. 21's are infamous for these.

Thanks everyone...I need to provide better pictures....each coin has good to great luster..thier apparent failings aside...I will submit some better pictures later this week...bye the bye...none have been dipped unless my great Aunt dipped them 30 years ago...again, bad pics!!!! Have a great week everyone!

...bye the bye...none have been dipped unless my great Aunt dipped them 30 years ago...again, bad pics!!!! Have a great week everyone!

No disrespect intended toward you or your great aunt, but it is quite possible that your great aunt acquired them after they had already been dipped. It was quite common back in the 70's & 80's when no one wanted toned and crusty Morgans.

Chris

I'll be the odd one here and say that the coin is AU55 due to what I perceive to be a rub on the eagle's breast feather. I do think that the coin has probably been dipped out in terms of luster. If this is true, then you would definitely get an AU grade if not an AU "details" designation. Sorry; I hope that I am wrong. Nevertheless, there isn't a huge price spread in the AU-MS63 range so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not sure which VAM it would be and whether or not that would add any significant premium.

Hey Chris, no problem, Aunt Ruth was quite a character...she may have been doing some dipping on the side...to my knowledge the coins she left were passed down from the early 1900's in her family...hopefully better pic's will help with the board input. This is a great forum...I'm looking forward to my continuing education!

Thanks again everyone...have a great week!

Hey Chris, no problem, Aunt Ruth was quite a character...she may have been doing some dipping on the side...to my knowledge the coins she left were passed down from the early 1900's in her family...hopefully better pic's will help with the board input. This is a great forum...I'm looking forward to my continuing education!

Thanks again everyone...have a great week!

I should have pointed out what I was looking at ...

93979.jpg.7bc9f539b2b9fd3030b4b94abb19a33d.jpg