• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS Challenge

25 posts in this topic

Have any of the members who attended the NGC Luncheon at FUN sent in their submission for the free conservation and grading?

I mailed mine on January 19 and haven't heard from them yet. I know that the turnaround time was stated as 4-6 weeks, but I was just curious if anyone has gotten their submission back.

Chris

I didn't realize that I could check the NCS status until just now. My coin was received on 1/21 and it is listed as "Scheduled for Evaluation".

Chris

Mine is in Quality Control as of today. Does that mean QC at NCS or QC at NGC? (shrug)

Chris

I would think NCS but I am also not sure.

It's listed as "Scheduled for Grading" today, so it must go through QC at NCS as well.

Chris

What did you want them to do to it? It looks to be retoning after a dip, but it looks pretty good from those pics.

He wanted them to turn it DPL, and also put a star on the label!! lol

Jason, I bought this about 4 years ago in an ANACS MS63DMPL slab and had cracked it out of the slab right away. I thought it might upgrade to 64, so I sent it to NGC as one of my freebies in November, 2007. It came back BB'ed for "Altered Surfaces". I took it with me to FUN 2008 and had David Lange take a look at it. He said that it appeared to have some sort of haze on the surfaces, and it might benefit from conservation. That same year I submitted it to PCGS as one of my freebies to see what they'd say. PCGS graded it MS64PL. The coin has really nice mirrors, and I felt that it should have the DPL designation. So, when we were given the NCS Challenge certificates at FUN 2010, I decided to submit it hoping that the conservation would help to get the DPL designation.

Chris

What did you want them to do to it? It looks to be retoning after a dip, but it looks pretty good from those pics.

Close!

Close!

WOW...I was just being a smartass!!

I hope they can get it into a DPL holder for you.

Close!

WOW...I was just being a smartass!!

I hope they can get it into a DPL holder for you.

I know you were, Jaime, and I was considering the source. :roflmao:

Chris :hi:

Jason, I bought this about 4 years ago in an ANACS MS63DMPL slab and had cracked it out of the slab right away. I thought it might upgrade to 64, so I sent it to NGC as one of my freebies in November, 2007. It came back BB'ed for "Altered Surfaces". I took it with me to FUN 2008 and had David Lange take a look at it. He said that it appeared to have some sort of haze on the surfaces, and it might benefit from conservation. That same year I submitted it to PCGS as one of my freebies to see what they'd say. PCGS graded it MS64PL. The coin has really nice mirrors, and I felt that it should have the DPL designation. So, when we were given the NCS Challenge certificates at FUN 2010, I decided to submit it hoping that the conservation would help to get the DPL designation.

Chris

Wow any more of those challenge certs around? Good luck with the DPL.It's so dang hard to get that,even on previously graded DMPLs that fit all the criteria.Geez,.they missed a PL on one of my favorite PL coins.That one is a no brainer I tell ya'!!

Wow any more of those challenge certs around?

I can't say. Everyone who attended the NGC Luncheon at FUN was given one. The certificate entitles the bearer to one free NCS conservation, grading by NGC and return shipping. I believe they have to be used by March 31.

Chris

Chris, how did yours turn out?

Mine just went to Quality Control at NGC. Anyone know how long from this point until they ship me my coin? Also, when do they post the grades? This is my first coin submission, so I'm not entirely sure how the whole thing works.

Chris, how did yours turn out?

Mine just went to Quality Control at NGC. Anyone know how long from this point until they ship me my coin? Also, when do they post the grades? This is my first coin submission, so I'm not entirely sure how the whole thing works.

I didn't get the DMPL. It remained the same 64PL. :(

Chris

GREAT Merc physics, looks nice

I'll assume everyone doesn't read every thread

For a good job check out the 1895 Sydney mint Sovereign I sent in recently

3401257-001

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3401257-001

Asking NGC if I can use their image so its not linked to another site (which needs a free membership)

BEFORE SCAN :

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8350/1895o.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6618/1895r.jpg

BEFORE PHOTO (Northeast Numismatics)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6423/1895s.jpg

PVC on the obverse people ?? COLOR in that photo..

I got good money for it, but should have kept it and sent it before I sold it :D buyer is a friend dealer who will cross it to PCGS and sell it for even more

Near or pure gold conserves damn well, to be sure :D