• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade a 1833 Bust Qtr

9 posts in this topic

I took a B/W scan for the photo. That not saying that it could have been fooled with at sometime in the past.

How can you expect anyone to offer an accurate grade opinion if you post a black and white photo ?? Why would you not scan it in color ?

I took a B/W scan for the photo. That not saying that it could have been fooled with at sometime in the past.

How can you expect anyone to offer an accurate grade opinion if you post a black and white photo ?? Why would you not scan it in color ?

It is not too difficult to give an grade opinion on the coin from the image F12 to VF25 several did. I put the coin up to get opinions on the die clash. Did it have an effect on the shield? Were not talking a 63 64 65 grades. As far as my choice of using a B/W photo, the B/W resembled closer to what the coin looked like in hand. I tried the color image. The B/W was better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It's a coin of VF-20 to 25 grade, and a die clash is not the cause of the weak shield. That shield detail struck on the coins accurately reflects the detail available on the actual die. They always look that mushy on this particular issue.

The die clash did not cause the shield to be weak. I believe MarkT would have prefered a color scan since color can play an important role in overall grade determination and analysis of surfaces.

It is not too difficult to give an grade opinion on the coin from the image F12 to VF25 several did. I put the coin up to get opinions on the die clash. Did it have an effect on the shield? Were not talking a 63 64 65 grades. As far as my choice of using a B/W photo, the B/W resembled closer to what the coin looked like in hand. I tried the color image. The B/W was better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It does not matter what the grade of the coin is, posting a B & W scan is not going to help anyone here give you an opinion on the coin . I have to say that if you need to use a black and white scan as apposed to a color scan you either need a better scanner of there is something seriously odd about the coins color :grin: