• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1824 Bust Half

14 posts in this topic

NGC gave this coin an Au 55.

If someone else posted this coin and I had to guess the grade I would come in at:

Low end Au 50

High end Au 55.

So I can see where Au 50 would be a popular guess based on the image.

My assessment having the coin in hand is details wise I can see why NGC would give it Au 55. I have enough of these and have seen plenty in Au 55 with similar details.

My concern would be luster – it is crusty however the luster does poke its way into the fields but I would like to see more. The coin probably would be more suited for a Au 53 holder :cry:

I can see Au 50 based on lack of Luster , however you were a bit to conservative with an XF grade :grin:

I do like the coin because of its originality .

Almost missed the thread. But I already know the grade. nice pics! (thumbs u

I should add that NGC (and PCGS) tend to give out a 55 sometimes when the wear is very slight but luster is tough to find, usually with a coin that has an eye appealing originality. Your coin fits that category.

Almost missed the thread. But I already know the grade. nice pics! (thumbs u

I should add that NGC (and PCGS) tend to give out a 55 sometimes when the wear is very slight but luster is tough to find, usually with a coin that has an eye appealing originality. Your coin fits that category.

The luster is there just subdued because of the crust.

Details wise it looks similar to other Au 55 Busts in my collection or ones that I have seen. I am usually not one to argue a grade given by NGC or PCGS unless it is a blatant over grade as their grading skills surpass mine !!

:)

It’s a keeper.