• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are my manners?

5 posts in this topic

I was alerted to the fact that we have a new member who has posted a question in "Coin Conservation". Since I know nothing about cleaning coins, can someone help him?

His name is Marty and his username is M.H. He posted his questions on Feb. 12, so I hope he hasn't given up and left.

Thanks, David!

Chris

Hello everyone, I do more reading than writing so I'm not that great of a convesationalist. What I've read in the forums are quite entertaining, informative and down right humorous. Cleaning coins is not too cool but there is nothing wrong with getting rid of the dirt, grease or whatever crud is on it. I don't think I'm at the point where I need professional services. My Lincoln Cent collection is not worth thousands so I try and do thinks myself. I know how to roll a qtip on a coin, I have a few books on Lincoln Cents and did some practicing removing dirt on some 1970 cents before trying it on some of my cents that are in my album. I'm surprised that it was mentioned that mineral oil does strange things to copper. Q. David Bowers and James Rudy, both authors on Lincoln Cents, both said that mineral oil is a good conservation measure.