• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw a gold sticker on a gold coin in a PCGS green-label holder last night...

39 posts in this topic

I think PerryHall knows the answer, but I will go there anyway; a gold CAC sticker means that CAC believes the coin is at least one grade increment higher than the slab insert states.

When I get the images back from the photographer, I promise to post them here. As I said to you when I first saw the coin, in the same box, there was a recent vintage slabbed NGC AU-58 coin. I held the two coins side-by-side, and each coin had the same amount of wear/meat.

I think PerryHall knows the answer, but I will go there anyway; a gold CAC sticker means that CAC believes it is at least one grade increment lower than the slab insert states.
Tom, I thought it meant at least one grade increment HIGHER ;)

I think PerryHall knows the answer, but I will go there anyway; a gold CAC sticker means that CAC believes it is at least one grade increment lower than the slab insert states.

D'oh!!! doh! I'm an i-d-i-o-t. This is what happens when you begin to type a response in one manner and then switch in mid-post without proof reading. I'll edit my original post just to clear things up, but you definitely caught me on that one.

D'oh!!! doh! I'm an i-d-i-o-t. This is what happens when you begin to type a response in one manner and then switch in mid-post without proof reading. I'll edit my original post just to clear things up, but you definitely caught me on that one.

Tom, it's refreshing to see you post imperfectly, once in a great while (thumbs u

Tom, it's refreshing to see you post imperfectly, once in a great while (thumbs u

I was just about to say the same thing!

[font:Comic Sans MS] He's human after all! [/font] :whee:

Chris

Tom was probably thinking about the TeleTrade stickers.

gold label means it is a super high end one point higher for the grade this is why gold stickers are so uncommon

for example lets say you got an ms 65 saint this means it is not only 66 but above 66.5

so a green sticker on an ms 65 coin means ja thinks it is 65.5 to 66.4 mostly likely many green are just nice 65's

but

again gold sticker not only has to be next grade but high end for the next grade and again this is why the gold sticker is so uncommon

from my calculations out of 1200 coins to get a green sticker then one out of 1200 get a gold sticker

and lots of gold stickers are like one coin i predicted would get a gold sticker a hot stamped ngc holder with a common date flb ms 65 merc dime and i thought it was close to 67

and lo and behold it got a gold sticker but really did not matter much as the coin was worth 45 dollars in the older holder as a 65 fbl and 110 in A 66 FBL HOLDER BIG DEAL AND I THINK MANY GOLD STICKERS ARE LIKE THIS

now a BIG deal would be a gold stickered pcgs ms 65 pcgs flyer 1858

as a really nice nice pcgs65 is a 5500k coin while an pcgs ms 66 is an about 14k coin for large letters to 25k coin for small letters

When I get the images back from the photographer, I promise to post them here. As I said to you when I first saw the coin, in the same box, there was a recent vintage slabbed NGC AU-58 coin. I held the two coins side-by-side, and each coin had the same amount of wear/meat.

Robert, I look forward to discussing the "other project" with you at your leisure :) . Interest was surprisingly strong from folks just walking around the show. I'd guess that in addition to yourself, there are three others who are interested in participating.

I bought an 1854 Pattern 1cent Judd-161 PR63 Brown PCGS with a Gold CAC sticker in October of 2010 and am now being offered a lot more from a buyer. Even if I go up to a 64+ as this discussion indicates the coin has never sold for that high. Am I missing something?

I paid $2400 and have now been offered $4500. Should I take it?

What are your collecting goals? Is this something you'll never find again? Just because you make a profit doesn't mean you should sell.

In the past I always think whether I'll be able to find the coin again...if not it's usually because I'm moving onto another series or whatever.

Think about it before you sell...you may regret later.

Good luck.

jom

Thank you for your reply. My collecting goals have definitely changed in the forty plus years since I started collecting at age 7. Back then it was just to fill Whitman books and sets. Later it was to acquire key coins in BU condition. Later with the advent of slabbing coins and ANACS, NGC and PCGS, as well as the 70 point scale, it became more of an investment as I could buy and hold and then make a nice profit, this allowing me to buy more and start all over again. About 3 years ago I decided to focus on CAC coins, + coins, CC Eagles, in short, coins that would always be in demand and with which I could have a nice hedge against the uncertainty of the stock market and our ever perplexing economic condition in the US, as well as make a nice profit. I have about 5 of these pattern coins, all with a CAC sticker, but this is the only coin I own with a gold sticker. If I could never get $4500 again for this coin, then I would definitely sell it, but what I am asking is since this PF-63 with gold CAC coin even in 65 condition has never sold for more than $2400, wouldn't it be a good idea to sell now, unless you thought with the gold sticker it could be worth more some day?

Does anyone out there have experience with Patterns like these? Please advise.

If you are 100% sure of what you say (and that you have thoroughly researched the pricing history including Heritage, Stacks, Bowers and Merena, and I think there is a new hybrid of the last two, etc.) then I would sell. That's just my opinion.

I used the PCGS site which tracks sales from Heritage, Stacks, Bowers, Goldberg, etc. and have not seen the coin sell even 2 grades higher for as much as is being offered. So selling seems like a viable option, plus I could use the cash now. Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.