• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is PCGS's announcement going to be on March 25?

89 posts in this topic

David Hall writes:

At the PCGS Set Registry luncheon at the FUN show in January I made the following comment...

"There will be more announcements and new things coming out of PCGS in 2010 than there have been in the past 20 years combined."

PCGS, PCGS CoinFacts, and the Certified Coin Exchange (CCE) will be launching numerous new initiatives, products, and services this year. Some fairly significant things have already been done, such as the Million Dollar Coin Club and the new much faster and cheaper shipping deal. Some things, such as our research on the 1841 quarter eagle and imagining of every U.S. coin and variety on PCGS CoinFacts are ongoing.

But all the things we've done so far and all the other things we'll do this year pale in comparison to the announcement we'll be making March 26, 2010 at the Mid-Winter ANA convention. At 1:00 on March 26, 2010 in a gathering place to be determined we will unveil the "next step"...the "new way"..."the big one." If you are going to be at the ANA convention in Fort Worth, don't miss it. If you're not going to be at the ANA, check the pcgs.com home page at 2:00 CST for all the info. THE BIG ONE IS COMING!!!!!

PS...Guess all you like...you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field. But I promise you you'll love it! In February, 1986, we flicked a switch and changed the market...we're going to flick another switch on March 26...

Any guesses on what the announcement will be?

The last time he was having a super major massive earth shattering announcement, it went over with a meaningless thud.

I hope it is not something about the :censored: registry.

PS...Guess all you like...you won't get it because a major part of what we'll be doing comes from way out in left field. But I promise you you'll love it! In February, 1986, we flicked a switch and changed the market...we're going to flick another switch on March 26...

New slabs and/or RFID tags have been brought up before on a few occations, so I doubt that is it.

I bet they start grading wooden nickles. ;)

See, a lot of folks were talking about the introduction of new technologies, like

RFID or some sort of laser scanning to date coins or identify AT (as if anyone could even reach a concensus of AT vs. NT anyway :eyeroll: )...

...but I think that all of that would just be too expensive for them to implement. It would add too much to the cost of slabbing.

I'm guessing that PCGS will release a new holder that is:

1.) more secure

2.) scratch resistant like NGC's new holder

3.) That allows differentiation from pre-2010 coins

I'm guessing that PCGS will fix its copper guarantee - it is only a matter of time before they are sued. The new holders will facilitate this. On the negative note, they might completely lose it and degrade the guarantee even further. (I see no evidence for this, but it would be interesting and ironic if the "big one" was PCGS filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy getting rid of their guarantee or at least attempting to get rid of their guarantee).

I'll also second the idea about grading coins directly from the U.S. mint.

I'll also throw out the idea of expanding their ancient coin program.

Finally, I'm betting that they will introduce details grading.

They probably bought ICG and will now start grading all of Greg's off-the-wall submissions. Maybe they will even accept his wooden nickels. (shrug)

Chris

I bet they start grading wooden nickles. ;)

Ok so I misspelled the word nickels but I still beat you to it Chris lol

Well, yes and no! I was referring to Greg's wooden nickels. (thumbs u

Chris

Well, I'll be at the Ft. Worth ANA show... anyone else?

But the last time he made an "earth shattering" announcement that he was excited about it was when he announced they would no longer guarantee copper.

So, the next logical step would be to no longer guarantee silver.

I was going to post that ATS, but I thought I was pushing it enough with my "how good is the PCGS guarantee" thread.

Of which, I'm glad they didn't bam because there was a lot of good information that came out there. Whether I liked it or not.

I was referring everyones wooden nickels especially Gregs, what would be more "left field" than grading something that even ICG will not grade? lol

Now that NGC has already marketed the oversized slabs, maybe they will start certifying/grading license plates.

Chris

My guess, which I posted on the PCGS forum, appears below. Whatever the announcement is, I will be shocked if it lives up to the hype.

Instant access to sight unseen and/or sight seen bids and auction prices realized for your newly graded PCGS coins?

My guess, which I posted on the PCGS forum, appears below. Whatever the announcement is, I will be shocked if it lives up to the hype.

Instant access to sight unseen and/or sight seen bids and auction prices realized for your newly graded PCGS coins?

That's actually a pretty good guess. (thumbs u

It'd be interesting to have an integration of their CCE where dealers could submit coins for grading with the notation that after they are graded to be automatically sold on the CCE with PCGS doing all the shipping and collection of funds. This won't happen, but it'd save many dealers a lot of time.

I'd like to see (both at PCGS & NGC) a real-time update of submission status. It'd be nice to see things like "Scheduled For Grading - ETA of 18 days before going to grading room" and then "In Grading Room - Graded by one grader. ETA 2 days for 2nd grader opinion"....

I posted to that thread that PCGS will start it's own auction venue with PCGS slabbed coins only, along with a PCGS (PayPal type) payment plan.

It will be PCGS all day, all the time, til your completely immersed in KoolAid