• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk about "Toning".

2 posts in this topic

Let's talk about"Toning" for a bit.

As a general rule,I've tried to avoid toned coins except in unavoidable cases or where I find a super buy on that special date I've been searching for.

I see that NGC and PCGS have given a number of them good MS grades so who am I to avoid them?

Thoughts please .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is important for you to purchase those coins that most appeal to you. Much as it is in the art world, an individual gravitates toward a certain look that appeals to them. In that case, there is no right or wrong way for you to consider the issue of toning.

The fact is that for many toned coins, it confirms a state of originality, time, and place. But just as true, there are plenty of "white" coins that have never had the opportunity to tone and are just as original in their own state.

This is your hobby and you should acquire those coins that give you the most aesthetic pleasure.

Rick Montgomery