• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethical Question about Buying/Selling

What would you do with the proof set? Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t91871/#ixzz0ezJOdk1v  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with the proof set? Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t91871/#ixzz0ezJOdk1v

38 posts in this topic

So I bought a proof set. I got the proof set in the mail and found out that the seller had sold

me a proof set with a error inside. Based on the sellers picture I couldn't tell there are a error

inside the proof set. This was a regular auction and I was the only bidder.

I asked the seller if he sent me the right proof set.

He said is the date correct.

I replied yes.

He said I only had 1 proof set with that date and that is the set in the picture.

I don't know what to do with the proof set?

I don't see the problem. He wanted to sell a proof set. You bought a proof set. The proof set that he wanted to sell was the one that you bought. Where is the ethical question?

Yea, where is the ethical question? The seller is a professional auctioneer. The item was offered at auction. Other bidders had a chance to see the picture. You bought it. If you see something no one else saw more power to you!

There should be some reward for working and studying your subject. If you are lazy, don’t do your homework or miss something you should have seen, too bad. The world does not owe you a living.

If the seller had done his job properly as any serious coin collector sould, he would probably have spotted the error. It's not like he inadvertently sent you a 1995W Kennedy instead of a 2001D. His only concern was unloading it.

Sorry, but I have no remorse for someone who does a "half-fast" job. Keep it!

Chris

PS. What was the error, anyway? I'm nosy!

Based on the situation as described, I don't think you have any ethical obligation to let the seller know.

If, due to the error, the set is worth far more than a regular one is and you want to send some extra money to the seller, go for it. Some would call you foolish for that, but I think it would be a very nice thing to do and it might make you and the seller happy.

The seller should know what he's selling. I bought an opened 1964 proof set and got a nice Acc hair kennedy out of it. I see no problem with buying what is being sold. Like I stated, a seller should know what he's selling.

No problem at all,

Your knowledge and expertise has paid off!

Should you send valuable VAMs back because the seller "missed it"?

The item was placed in a public auction and brought a competitve price. The fact that the seller failed to notice or disclose the "error" or that other bidders failed to notice or were unwilling to bid higher than you worked to your benefit in a fair venue.

Congrats!!!

No S dime????

That's what I got!!

Of course, it's always possible that the seller used that particular photo to con someone into bidding higher, but it didn't work. For your sake, I hope you get the same proof set shown in the photo.

Chris

No S dime????

That's what I got!!

I'm jealous. How did you go about picking that out of all the junk on eBay? Did someone alert you or were you looking to pick up a 1983 proof set?

With regards to the ethics question posed, I personally see no ethical issue. For buyers, I strongly believe in the principles of caveat emptor and I believe there should be an analogous doctrine for sellers as well. I would keep the coin or possibly sell it (didn't you post on here that you recently bought a 1970 "no s" proof cameo dime? If so, you could recoup the costs or at least much of the costs.)

Whether or not you tell the seller is your decision. After all, you could tell him and still keep it (although that would be cruel). :gossip::tonofbricks: Why ruin a good thing? Perhaps he will list additional errors in the future (although you will likely face much more competition in the future even though the prospects of the seller making another large error is slim).

As an aside, I have faced similar questions in my coin buying experiences. I have had luck with other coins (not modern proofs sets), including finding a wartime Jefferson Nickel in an old holder, MS 67 with full steps before such coins were designated. The coin was unusually sharp in other ways as well. The coin is worth nearly 50 times what I paid for it. (I still cannot find another San Francisco silver nickel with that strong of a strike.) Similarly, I have found full torch line Roosevelt Dimes unattributed and doubled my money occasionally. I have no remorse what so ever. That's part of the fun of coin collecting: finding extreme bargains that no one else has attributed. To coin collecting - CHEERS!

No S dime????

That's what I got!!

Of course, it's always possible that the seller used that particular photo to con someone into bidding higher, but it didn't work. For your sake, I hope you get the same proof set shown in the photo.

Chris

Chris, he has already recieved it in the mail.

In my opinion you have already exceded the buyer responsibilities and the norms for a fair transaction. What are you supposed to do, draw him a picture? (Oh wait, he already has one!)

I'm jealous. How did you go about picking that out of all the junk on eBay? Did someone alert you or were you looking to pick up a 1983 proof set?

I didn't know that it would be a NO-S when I bought the proof set.

1983 is my birth year and I am working on building a proof roll of each coin.

I have bought over 20 1983 proof sets on eBay and this is my first no-s proof set.

Rip it. But out of curiousity, what's it worth?

They sell for about $800 on eBay.

Oh wow (thumbs u I'd say take your girlfriend/wife? (I can't recall) for a nice dinner on valentine's day and use the rest to work on your registry set.

He obviously didn't because the set pictured in the auction does have a mintmark on the dime.

No S dime????

That's what I got!!

Chris

Chris, he has already recieved it in the mail.

doh!

He obviously didn't because the set pictured in the auction does have a mintmark on the dime.

I looked and looked and still can't tell by the sellers picture that the coin has or doesn't have a mint mark.