• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1890 Morgan -- Opinions?

20 posts in this topic

I've read in David Bowers book on Morgan Silver Dollars that the 1890 date is usually poorly struck and has dull luster. I believe I have one such specimen:

1D_1890_OBV.JPG

1D_1890_REV.JPG

What kind of grade would you give it? Thanks!

MS-65, just for the nick above the eagle, if that weren't there I could see a 66 for sure.

Didn't notice the hairlines at first look...what can I say it was late at night. With that in mind, I still like the look of the details but the surface doesn't seem original. I'd say Unc details or maybe an AU-58. Tis a shame as it looks like it had a great strike for the date.

I think the lack of marks is great, but I'm concerned what might be some possible wear on some of the hight points on both the obverse and reverse?

I'm so unsure as to how to grade this coin that I myself waver all of the way between AU-50 and MS-65. I'm just not experienced enough in the Morgan Series to know.

And that's why I'm asking the experts!

I am going to say AU58 as a novice. The fields look great, but like you noted no luster and the highpoints above the ear and on the wing tips look worn.

If that is a symptom of poor striking someone point that out so I will know as well.

According to Bowers, "striking is seen from weak to not-so-weak, but is not often seen as sharp. The typical 1890 is average or below average, with flatness over the ear."

As a novice grader, I too sometimes find it difficult to determine strength of strike vs. actual wear.

The lighting in these pictures is doing a good job of hiding hits and chatter in the fields.

If I am interepreting the pictures correctly I say high MS63 or MS64.

*edit* Am I seeing hairlines on the cheek and behind Liberty?

Bug, I was concerned about that as well. There are what appear to be numerous hairlines on the obverse. If this is so, the coin has been cleaned for sure. The cheek area and the area behind the head are the areas that concern me as far as what appears to be a light cleaning.

MS64, but if you think that is weakly struck, you should see some of my 1888-O's. You can't distinguish Liberty's hair from her ear or the eagle's legs from it's body.

Chris

MS64 details

Coin has been through the mill.

Had to pull my coin out to check to see if mine has any strange surfaces under extreme magnification like this coin has - it doesn't.

Agree, nice strike for an 1890. Unfortunately, from the hairlines on the cheek and fields it appears to have been lightly cleaned.

Look at the coin under natural light or halogen light. Rotate the coin as if examining the cartwheel effect. See if you detect light parallel lines appearing at different observation angles. If so, that would confirm a light cleaning.

Carl

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far!

I'm not sure if my camera's built-in flash and contrast settings are producing some artifacts (strange surface), or if the coin has indeed been whizzed?

If the coin is whizzed, would that get rid of small marks but leave dull, unnatural looking luster?

Agree, nice strike for an 1890. Unfortunately, from the hairlines on the cheek and fields it appears to have been lightly cleaned.

Look at the coin under natural light or halogen light. Rotate the coin as if examining the cartwheel effect. See if you detect light parallel lines appearing at different observation angles. If so, that would confirm a light cleaning.

Carl

Coin is UNC Details, obverse improperly cleaned. Take the coin to strong natural sunlight and tilt it to observe fine lines/scratches running from 1 to 7 o'clock on the surface. (FYI - There are times when lines may be present that are not due to cleaning e.g. roller marks, etc, this is not the case with this coin) The likely cause of this damage is abrasion with a cloth/napkin/etc, not whizzing, and these scracthes will impair the lustre on this coin...

Bummer, since it's otherwise a nice coin

pcgs net graded but still in a graded holder

pcgs au 58

and

above AVERAGE STRIKE

as currently (usually) pcgs puts wiped not quite choice unc's in 58 holders

He is saying that PCGS would not put it in a genuine holder but that they would grade it AU58 because of the hairlines.

I would say this would be a very optimistic opinion for a coin with a mintage of 16.8 million.